Calculate Plane Velocity Relative to Ground in Different Directions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Quantum Mind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resolution Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Quantum Mind
Messages
72
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The airspeed of a small plane is 200 km/h. The wind speed is 50.0 km/h [E]. Determine the velocity of the plane
relative to the ground if the pilot keeps the plane pointing in each of the following directions.
a) East (250 km/h [E] )
b) West (150 km/h [W] )
c) North (206 km/h [N14.0°E])
d) North 40° East (2.4e2 km/h [E41°N] )

Homework Equations


Sin Theta = opp/hyp where Theta = 40 deg, Hyp=200.

The Attempt at a Solution



The first three are basic. For the fourth obviously, a simple resolution of vectors won't do. If I do, I get 128, while the answer is 240. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to sound so stupid, I am a novice at physics. :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Pythagorean method is only useful for adding vectors that form a right angle. What other methods of vector addition have you covered?
 
OK, I got it. Thanks. I have to use the head to tail method.