Calculate Power from Water flow

In summary: I am not sure how to calculate the theoretical maximum power that can be derived from a flow.If I assume I have a flow of 5m/s and a channel (or pipe) 1m^2then I have a volume of 5,000 l/sHow do I calculate the energy that this flow could transfer to a turbine (excluding losses)?Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2water has density 1 so mass of 5,000 l is 5,000 kgEk = 0.5 * 5,000 * 5^2 = 2,500 * 25 = 62,500 JPower = 62.5kW
waterturbine
Hi,
I am interested in building a water turbine.
I am not sure how to calculate the theoretical maximum power that can be derived from a flow.

If I assume I have a flow of 5m/s and a channel (or pipe) 1m^2
then I have a volume of 5,000 l/s
How do I calculate the energy that this flow could transfer to a turbine (excluding losses)?

Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2
water has density 1 so mass of 5,000 l is 5,000 kg
Ek = 0.5 * 5,000 * 5^2
= 2,500 * 25
= 62,500 J
Power = 62.5kW ?

(This doesn't seem correct and it is over 40 years since I did any physics)
So maybe I am missing that the change in flow from input of 5m/s will not be to 0?

Am I missing anything else and is there some other method to resolve this?

Or do I have to determine the Differential pressure across the turbine (I do not have any specs for a turbine yet).

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
waterturbine said:
Hi,
I am interested in building a water turbine.
I am not sure how to calculate the theoretical maximum power that can be derived from a flow.

If I assume I have a flow of 5m/s and a channel (or pipe) 1m^2
then I have a volume of 5,000 l/s
How do I calculate the energy that this flow could transfer to a turbine (excluding losses)?

Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2
water has density 1 so mass of 5,000 l is 5,000 kg
Ek = 0.5 * 5,000 * 5^2
= 2,500 * 25
= 62,500 J
Power = 62.5kW ?

(This doesn't seem correct and it is over 40 years since I did any physics)
So maybe I am missing that the change in flow from input of 5m/s will not be to 0?

Am I missing anything else and is there some other method to resolve this?

Or do I have to determine the Differential pressure across the turbine (I do not have any specs for a turbine yet).

thanks

It's almost that simple -- except (1) the water needs to exit the turbine at some speed, and (2) typically there are pressure and gravity terms that have to be accounted for. You haven't indicated a geometry (is this an axial-flow turbine with equal inlet and exit areas? a centrifugal turbine that extracts gravitational potential energy?) but in general you have to compute the total mechanical power flowing into the turbine and subtract the total mechanical power flowing out, and the difference is the shaft power. The specific mechanical energy (energy per unit mass) is

[itex]P / \rho +gz+V^2/2[/itex]

You have to multiply this by the mass flow rate [itex]\dot{m}[/itex] to get the mechanical power.

BBB

Hi BBB,
thanks for your response,
My applications is generating power from a tidal flow.
I am thinking of building a pontoon that will act as a bi directional shrouded Axial Turbine the inlet and outlet piping will be the same size.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate power from water flow?

The formula for calculating power from water flow is power (Watts) = flow rate (m^3/s) x head (m) x gravity (9.81 m/s^2).

2. What is flow rate?

Flow rate refers to the volume of water passing through a given point in a specific amount of time, usually measured in cubic meters per second (m^3/s).

3. What is head in relation to calculating power from water flow?

Head refers to the vertical distance between the water source and the turbine, usually measured in meters. It represents the potential energy of the water due to its elevation.

4. Is gravity a constant in the formula for calculating power from water flow?

Yes, gravity is a constant in the formula as it is responsible for pulling the water down and creating the potential energy that can be converted into power.

5. How accurate is the calculated power from water flow?

The calculated power from water flow is generally accurate, but it may vary depending on factors such as the efficiency of the turbine and any losses in the system. It is always recommended to perform regular maintenance and calibrations to ensure accurate results.