1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate power required to operate superconducting magnet

1. Mar 16, 2015 #1
    Dear Friends,

The great problem lies in here : I have calculated the power requirement of an electromagnet. That Its huge . To minimize this power requirement I would like to see if its possible with super conducting magnet, but I am having a problem, because the power requirement are so low, that it cannot be, and also the turns naturally not valid, Only the Resistance which is very low 1.0e-02x.

So having the resistance and the Amperes required using the P=U*I and I = U/R (remember its DC)
    then the power would be very low, that the amperes are simply not possible in real life.
    Against this I also happen to know the usual MRI devices uses 50-150 Amperes and some 20-50 volt. This makes some sense but in terms of power requirement still not.

A 7-9 Tesla electromagnet have incredible mechanical capabilities as well.

So, say I would like to have a magnet which can lift 1 tons from 2 meter.

Anybody can help how to calculate this out with superconducting electromagnets?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The power to run these magnets is determined by the power of the refrigerator, not the resistive losses in the magnet.

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    thx I look into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook