How to Calculate Probability of Profit for Leveraged Hedge Fund Investment

• Thread starter Kinetica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the question asks for the probability of a hedge fund making a profit of at least $100,000. The person owns $1,000,000 of stock and uses $50,000 of their own capital and $950,000 of borrowed money, making it a leveraged 20:1 investment. If the stock value falls below $950,000, the person must sell stock and repay the loan, resulting in a loss of their $50,000 investment. Daily log returns have a mean of 0.05/year and a standard deviation of 0.23/year. Using these numbers, the person can calculate the probability of making a profit based on the stock price at a given time.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

What is the probability that the hedge fund will make a profit of at least $100,000?

I own 1,000,000 dollars of stock and use 50,000 dollars of my own capital and 950,000 dollars of borrowed money. If the value of the stock falls below 950,000 dollars, then I must sell stock and repay the loan, which wipes out my $50,000 investment. It is leveraged 20:1 since borrowed money is 20 times the amount of my own capital. The daily log returns have mean of 0.05/year and stdev 0.23/year. Rates per trading day: divide by 253 and sqrt(253) respectively.

I don't know if all this information is needed. It is a probability question.

Any possible help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So say K is you're profit, you want to find P(K>100,000), when is profit measured? Is it at the end of a year or is teh money re-invested each year

based on what you know about the mean and SD of return, can you find a pdf for stock price X at a given time? then how do you calculate profit K from X?

What is the formula for calculating probability?

The formula for calculating probability is P(E) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability calculated based on mathematical reasoning and assumptions, while experimental probability is the probability based on actual observations and data.

How do you calculate the probability of independent events?

To calculate the probability of independent events, you multiply the individual probabilities of each event together. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5 and the probability of event B is 0.3, the probability of both events occurring is 0.5 x 0.3 = 0.15.

What is the difference between odds and probability?

Odds refer to the likelihood of an event happening, while probability refers to the chance of an event occurring. Odds are typically expressed in the form of a ratio, while probability is expressed as a decimal or percentage.

Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 1 means the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means the event is impossible. Any probability between 0 and 1 represents the likelihood of the event occurring.