Calculate Relations with Hey! (Nerd)

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, we discussed the relation $R=\{\langle\{\{\varnothing\}\}, \varnothing\rangle, \langle\varnothing, \{\varnothing\}\rangle, \langle\{\varnothing\},\{\{\varnothing\}\}\rangle\}$ and calculated $R^{-1}[\{\varnothing\}]$, $R \circ R$, and $\mathcal{P}R$. We also renamed the sets as $\varnothing \mapsto 0$, $\{\varnothing\} \mapsto 1$, and $\{\{\varnothing\}\} \mapsto 2$ to make the calculations easier. We found that $\mathcal{P}R$ contains 8
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! (Nerd)

Given the relation: $R=\{ \langle\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}, \varnothing \rangle, \langle \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \}\rangle, \langle \{ \varnothing \},\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}\rangle \}$, I want to calculate $R^{-1}[\{ \varnothing \}], R \circ R, \mathcal{P}R$.

That's what I have tried:

$$R^{-1}[\{ \varnothing \}]=\{ x: \exists y \in \{ \varnothing\}:xRy \}=\{x: xR \varnothing\}=\{ \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}\}$$

$$R \circ R=\{ \langle \{ \varnothing \},\varnothing\rangle, \langle \{ \{ \varnothing \} \},\{ \varnothing\} \rangle, \langle \varnothing, \{ \{ \varnothing\} \}\rangle \}$$

$\mathcal{P}R$ will have $2^3=8$ elements, right? Will $\mathcal{P}R$ contain the elements $\{\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}\}, \{ \varnothing \},\{ \{ \varnothing \}\}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
$$R^{-1}[\{ \varnothing \}]=\{ x: \exists y \in \{ \varnothing\}:xRy \}=\{x: xR \varnothing\}=\{ \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}\}$$
Correct.

evinda said:
$$R \circ R=\{ \langle \{ \varnothing \},\varnothing\rangle, \langle \{ \{ \varnothing \} \},\{ \varnothing\} \rangle, \langle \varnothing, \{ \{ \varnothing\} \}\rangle \}$$
Correct.

evinda said:
$\mathcal{P}R$ will have $2^3=8$ elements, right?
Yes.

evinda said:
Will $\mathcal{P}R$ contain the elements $\{\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}\}, \{ \varnothing \},\{ \{ \varnothing \}\}$?
No, it will contain sets of ordered pairs.

To make things easier, I recommend renaming the sets as follows.
\begin{align}
\varnothing&\mapsto0\\
\{\varnothing\}&\mapsto1\\
\{\{\varnothing\}\}&\mapsto2
\end{align}

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Correct.

Correct.

Yes.

(Happy)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
No, it will contain sets of ordered pairs.

To make things easier, I recommend renaming the sets as follows.
\begin{align}
\varnothing&\mapsto0\\
\{\varnothing\}&\mapsto1\\
\{\{\varnothing\}\}&\mapsto2
\end{align}

So, suppose that we have the relation:

$$R=\{ \langle 2,0\rangle, \langle 0,1 \rangle, \langle 1,2 \rangle\}= \{ \{ \{2\}, \{2,0\} \}, \{ \{0\},\{0,1\} \},\{ \{ 1\}, \{1,2\} \}\}$$

$\mathcal{P}R$ contains these elements:
  • $\varnothing$
    $$$$
  • $\{ \{ \{2\}, \{2,0\} \}, \{ \{0\},\{0,1\} \},\{ \{ 1\}, \{1,2\} \}\}$
    $$$$
  • $ \{ \{ \{2\}, \{2,0\} \} \}$
    $$$$
  • $ \{ \{ \{0\},\{0,1\} \} \}$
    $$$$
  • $\{ \{ \{ 1\}, \{1,2\} \} \}$
Right? How can I find the remaining three elements, that $\mathcal{P}R$ contains? :confused:

It helps to write all triples consisting of 0 and 1 in a systematic order.

Note that they represent binary numbers from 0 to 7. Also, instead of expanding ordered pairs (as in $\langle0,1\rangle=\{\{0\},\{0,1\}\}$), let's give them names, e.g., $\langle0,1\rangle=a$, $\langle0,2\rangle=b$ and $\langle1,2\rangle=c$. This is because when we compute $\mathcal{P}R$, the pairs are not taken apart, but occur in the resulting set as they are. Now, for each of the 8 triples above, if the first element is 0, don't include $a$ in the set, and if the first element is 1, do include $a$ in the set. The second element of the triple similarly controls the inclusion of $b$ and the third one controls the inclusion of $c$. Thus, each triple of 0s and 1s corresponds to a set containing from 0 to 3 elements. All these sets taken together form $\mathcal{P}R$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It helps to write all triples consisting of 0 and 1 in a systematic order.

Note that they represent binary numbers from 0 to 7. Also, instead of expanding ordered pairs (as in $\langle0,1\rangle=\{\{0\},\{0,1\}\}$), let's give them names, e.g., $\langle0,1\rangle=a$, $\langle0,2\rangle=b$ and $\langle1,2\rangle=c$. This is because when we compute $\mathcal{P}R$, the pairs are not taken apart, but occur in the resulting set as they are. Now, for each of the 8 triples above, if the first element is 0, don't include $a$ in the set, and if the first element is 1, do include $a$ in the set. The second element of the triple similarly controls the inclusion of $b$ and the third one controls the inclusion of $c$. Thus, each triple of 0s and 1s corresponds to a set containing from 0 to 3 elements. All these sets taken together form $\mathcal{P}R$.

So, we have: $R=\{a,b,c\}$, where $a=\langle0,1\rangle$, $b=\langle0,2\rangle$ and $c=\langle1,2\rangle$

So, is it like that? (Thinking)

$$\mathcal{P}R=\{ \varnothing, \{a,b,c\}, \{a\},\{b\},\{c\},\{a,b\}, \{a,c\},\{b,c\}\}$$

Or have I understood it wrong? :confused:

This is correct. I think you also asked in another thread why $\varnothing\in\mathcal{P}B$ for any $B$. You should be able to answer this now.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is correct. I think you also asked in another thread why $\varnothing\in\mathcal{P}B$ for any $B$. You should be able to answer this now.

Yes, I see why it is like that.. (Nod) Thanks a lot! (Smile)

Related to Calculate Relations with Hey! (Nerd)

1. How does Hey! (Nerd) calculate relations?

Hey! (Nerd) uses a mathematical algorithm to calculate the relations between individuals. It takes into account factors such as shared interests, communication patterns, and mutual connections to determine the strength and type of relationship between two people.

2. Can Hey! (Nerd) accurately predict future relationships?

While Hey! (Nerd) uses a sophisticated algorithm, it cannot predict the future with 100% accuracy. It can provide insights and suggestions based on current data, but ultimately, the future of a relationship is dependent on the individuals involved.

3. How does Hey! (Nerd) handle privacy and security?

Hey! (Nerd) takes privacy and security very seriously. It only collects data that is voluntarily shared by individuals and stores it securely. It also follows strict protocols to protect user information from any potential breaches.

4. Can Hey! (Nerd) be used for professional relationships?

Yes, Hey! (Nerd) can be used for both personal and professional relationships. It takes into account different types of interactions and factors, such as work collaborations and networking events, to determine the strength and type of relationship between individuals.

5. How can I use Hey! (Nerd) to improve my relationships?

Hey! (Nerd) can provide valuable insights and suggestions for improving relationships. By analyzing data and patterns, it can identify areas for improvement and offer tips for better communication and connection with others.