Prove that the operations are well-defined

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the sum of two cardinal numbers is defined as the cardinal number of the union of two sets, and the product is defined as the cardinal number of the cartesian product of two sets. Your proof shows that these operations are well-defined and you have also demonstrated 1-1 and surjectivity for each operation. Great job!
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)I had a test today in Set theory and that was one of the questions:
Define the sum and the product of two cardinal numbers and show that these are well-defined operations.That's what I have tried:Let $A,B$ sets with $A \cap B=\varnothing, card(A)=m, card(B)=n$.

We define the sum $m+n$ of the cardinal numbers $m,n$ as the cardinal number of the union of $A$ and $B$, i.e.

$$m+n=card(A \cup B)$$

We will show that the sum of two cardinal numbers is well-defined.

It suffices to show that if $A_1 \sim B_1, A_2 \sim B_2$ with $A_1 \cap A_2=\varnothing, B_1 \cap B_2=\varnothing$ then $A_1 \cup A_2 \sim B_1 \cup B_2$.We know that there are bijective functions $f: A_1 \to A_2, g:B_1 \to B_2$.

We want to show that there is a bijective function $h: A_1 \cup A_2 \to B_1 \cup B_2$.We set $ h(x)=f(x)$ if $x \in A_1, h(x)=g(x)$ if $x \in A_2$.We will show that $h$ is 1-1.

Let $x_1, x_2 \in A_1 \cup A_2$ with $h(x_1)=h(x_2)$.

If $x_1, x_2 \in A_1$ then $h(x_1)=f(x_1), h(x_2)=f(x_2)$ and so $f(x_1)=f(x_2) \Rightarrow x_1=x_2$

If $x_1, x_2 \in A_2$ then $h(x_1)=g(x_1), h(x_2)=g(x_2)$ and so $g(x_1)=g(x_2) \Rightarrow x_1=x_2$ since $g$ is injective.

If $x_1 \in A_1, x_2 \in A_2$ then $h(x_1)=h(x_2) \Rightarrow f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ that cannot be true because $B_1 \cap B_2=\varnothing$.We will show that $h$ is surjective, i.e. that $\forall y \in B_1 \cup B_2, \exists x \in A_1 \cup B_2$ such that $f(x)=y$.If $y \in B_1$ then we know that there will be a $x \in A_1$ such that $h(x)=y \Rightarrow f(x)=y$ since $f$ is surjective.

If $y \in B_2$ then we know that there will be a $x \in A_2$ such that $h(x)=y \Rightarrow g(x)=y$ since $g$ is surjective.

We define the product $m \cdot n$ of the cardinal numbers $m,n$ as the cardinal number of the cartesian product of $A$ and $B$, i.e.

$$m \cdot n=card(A \times B)$$

We will show that the product of two cardinal numbers is well-defined.

It suffices to show that if $A_1 \sim B_1, A_2 \sim B_2$ with $A_1 \cap A_2=\varnothing, B_1 \cap B_2=\varnothing$ then $A_1 \times A_2 \sim B_1 \times B_2$.We know that there are bijective functions $f: A_1 \to A_2, g:B_1 \to B_2$.

We want to show that there is a bijective function $h: A_1 \times A_2 \to B_1 \times B_2$.We define $h: A_1 \times A_2 \to B_1 \times B_2$ such that $\langle n,m \rangle \mapsto \langle f(n),g(m) \rangle$We will show that $h$ is 1-1.

Let $\langle m_1, n_1 \rangle, \langle m_2, n_2 \rangle \in A_1 \times A_2$ with $h(\langle m_1, n_1 \rangle)=h(\langle m_2, n_2 \rangle) \rightarrow \langle f(n_1),g(m_1) \rangle=\langle f(n_2),g(m_2) \rangle \rightarrow f(n_1))=f(n_2) \wedge g(m_1)=g(m_2) \overset{\text{f,g:} 1-1 }{\rightarrow} m_1=m_2 \wedge n_1=n_2 \rightarrow \langle m_1,n_1 \rangle=\langle m_2,n_2 \rangle$
From the surjectivity of $f,g$ we can conclude that $h$ is surjective.Could you tell me if it is right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I can confirm that your explanation and proof for defining the sum and product of two cardinal numbers are correct. You have clearly shown that these operations are well-defined and have provided a thorough explanation for each step. Keep up the good work!

1. What does it mean for an operation to be well-defined?

An operation is considered well-defined if its output is uniquely determined by its inputs, regardless of how those inputs are represented or described.

2. How do you prove that an operation is well-defined?

To prove that an operation is well-defined, you must show that the output of the operation is the same for all possible representations or descriptions of the inputs.

3. Why is it important for an operation to be well-defined?

A well-defined operation ensures that the output is consistent and reliable, and it eliminates any ambiguity or potential errors in the calculation or function.

4. Can you give an example of an operation that is not well-defined?

One example of a non-well-defined operation is dividing by zero. The output of this operation is undefined and can vary depending on how the inputs are represented.

5. Is it possible for an operation to be well-defined for some inputs but not others?

Yes, it is possible for an operation to be well-defined for some inputs but not others. For example, the square root operation is well-defined for positive numbers, but not for negative numbers.