Calculate the average force on the side walls of a container

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 1K views
patric44
Messages
308
Reaction score
40
Homework Statement
calculate the average force on the face "y"
Relevant Equations
F = 1/2 rho*g*h*A
Hi All, in the following problem:
1710497976835.png

1710497993180.png

1710498005718.png

the book solution
1710498045391.png

I don't understand why he added the term
$$
\rho g h_{z} A_{y}
$$
shouldn't it just be :
$$
F = 1/2 \rho g h_{y} A_{y}
$$
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
What would you say the pressure is at height ##h_y## on the x side?
I guess it will be ##\rho g h_{y}## but it will be a downward pressure.
 
patric44 said:
I guess it will be ##\rho g h_{y}## but it will be a downward pressure.
Pressure in a fluid has no direction, which is to say it acts equally in all directions.
 
haruspex said:
Pressure in a fluid has no direction, which is to say it acts equally in all directions.
OK, so you mean the pressure due to the weight of water contained at the z part (##\rho g h_{z}##) will act also along the right side affecting the area ##A_{y}## hence its force = ##\rho g h_{z} A_{y}##, am I correct in this interpretation.
the confusing thing also is, if I use integration it gives an equation that is the difference between two values but also outputs the correct answer.
 
patric44 said:
OK, so you mean the pressure due to the weight of water contained at the z part (##\rho g h_{z}##) will act also along the right side affecting the area ##A_{y}## hence its force = ##\rho g h_{z} A_{y}##, am I correct in this interpretation.
Yes. The pressure at depth h below the surface is ##\rho gh##, regardless of the route. So on y the pressure varies from ##\rho gh_z## at the top of y to ##\rho gh_x## at the bottom.
patric44 said:
the confusing thing also is, if I use integration it gives an equation that is the difference between two values but also outputs the correct answer.
Would that be involving ##h_x## in the difference instead of ##h_y##? If not, please post the details.