Calculate the buoyant force of a liquid

In summary: The reading on the balance increases when the bead touches the bottom of the beaker because the weight of the liquid is now also adding to the weight of the object.
semc
Hey guys during my lab i am required to calculate the buoyant force of a liquid so i have to submerge the object in the liquid and take the reading on the balance. after that i have to lower the object to the bottom of the beaker and take the reading again. How are the data going to help in calculating the buoyant force?

Physics news on Phys.org
You put a beaker of liquid on one of the scales of a balance, and weigh the beaker

1. while an object suspended from a string is completely submerged in the liquid
2. with the same object on the bottom of the beaker, no longer suspended from the string.

If the buoyant force of a liquid pushes an object up, the object must also push down on the liquid.

What are all the forces acting on the beaker + liquid in the first weighing? what's the difference in the second?

the difference at the bottom is that the object has no upward force right?so the difference is the buoyant force?

semc said:
the difference at the bottom is that the object has no upward force right?so the difference is the buoyant force?

No, the buoyant force is still the same as long as the object is submerged.
the difference is what the tension on the string was.

I'm not sure why the experiment is done in this way. the easiest way to get the
buoyant force would be to weigh the beaker with the object submerged in
it haning from a string and weigh just the beaker and liquid.
The difference between those gets you the buoyant force.

Sorry i really need help on this one :frown: can anyone tell me why the reading on the balance changes when the bead is initially lowered into the fluid? The balance measure the normal force acting on the beaker right? So when the bead is submerge in the fluid the weight of the bead adds to the weight of the fluid so the normal force is larger so the reading on the balance increases right? So why is it that when the bead touches the bottom of the beaker the reading increases?

1. What is the definition of buoyant force?

The buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How do you calculate the buoyant force of a liquid?

The buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of the displaced liquid. The formula is Fb = ρ x g x V, where ρ is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and V is the volume of the displaced liquid.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force of a liquid?

The buoyant force of a liquid is affected by the density of the liquid, the volume of the displaced liquid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object immersed in the liquid.

4. How does the buoyant force of a liquid affect floating and sinking?

If the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, the object will float. If the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object, the object will sink. When the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object, the object will remain suspended in the liquid.

5. Can the buoyant force of a liquid change?

Yes, the buoyant force of a liquid can change. It can change if the density or volume of the displaced liquid changes, or if the acceleration due to gravity changes. It can also change if the shape or size of the object immersed in the liquid changes.