Calculate the Electric Field at the given point

In summary, the electric field at the position (-5.0cm, -5.0cm) due to a -12 nC charge located at the origin is given by ##- \frac {12}{10^9} \frac 1 {2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac {\hat r}{r^2}## where ##\hat r = - \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} (\hat i + \hat j)##.
PyMaster

Homework Statement

A -12 nC charge is located at the origin.

What is the electric field at the position (x2,y2)=(−5.0cm,−5.0cm)? Write electric field vector in component form.

Homework Equations

upload_2014-9-27_11-44-48.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, r^2 = (-0.05 - 0 )^2 meters squared. q=-12*10^-9 C.
For the unit vector, I chose \hat{i} and \hat{j} for the horizontal and vertical components of the vector. In the solutions manual, they choose a unit vector \frac {1} {\sqrt{2}}. I am not sure how they chose this as their unit vector.

I think they start with unit vectors of 5*\hat{i} and 5*\hat{j} then to convert to unit vectors they divide by the magnitude of each of the vectors (which is the length of the hypotenuse; 5*\sqrt(2).

Can someone verify this, please?

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-27_11-40-55.png
    upload_2014-9-27_11-40-55.png
    518 bytes · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that ##\hat r## should be a unit vector with the same direction as ##\vec r##. The vector ##\vec a = \hat i + \hat j##, this is not a unit vector since ##\vec a^2 = 2##. Additionally, ##\hat r## should be pointing away from the origin, which in (-5cm, -5cm) means that it is given by ##- \frac 1{\sqrt 2}(\hat i + \hat j)##.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a given point?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a given point is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the given point.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a given point?

The direction of the electric field at a given point is determined by the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positive charge placed at that point. The direction of the electric field is always in the direction of the force on a positive charge.

3. What units are used to measure electric field strength?

The SI unit for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in volts per meter (V/m) or kilovolts per meter (kV/m).

4. How does distance affect the strength of the electric field at a given point?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. Can the electric field at a given point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a given point can be negative if the source of the field is a negative charge. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive charge, and the electric field lines would point towards the negative charge.