Calculate the gravitational force of the moon

In summary: It will give you the units for the force.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the gravitational forces acting on two identical 1kg blobs of water on opposite sides of the Earth, one facing the moon and the other farthest away from the moon. The equations used are F=G(m1m2)/d^2 and the distances are adjusted by adding or subtracting the radius of the Earth. It is noted that the calculation should only consider the attraction of the moon to the blobs, not the attraction of the Earth. The final answers for the gravitational forces are 3.4e-5 N for the blob closest to the moon and 3.2e-5 N for the blob farthest away from the moon
annjolino

Homework Statement

COnsider two identical 1kg blobs of water on opposite sides of the Earth, one on the side facing the moon and the other on the side farthest away from the moon.

a)calculate the gravitational force of the moon on the blob on the side of the Earth closest to the moon. (considering that the distance i have for Earth to moon is centre to centre.)

b) calculate the force of the moon on the blob on the farthest side away from the moon.

Distance from Earth to moon = 3.84E8
Radius of Earth = 6.37E6
G= 6.67259E-11
Mass of Earth = 5.98E24
mass of Moon = 7.36E22

Homework Equations

F=G(m1m2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

seeing how the blobs of water on the surface i assumed i would have to subtract the radius of the Earth from the distance to give me a more accurate distance from blob to moon.
3.84E8-6.37E6 = 3.78E8.

now factored that into equation

F=G(m1m2)/d^2
F=6.6725(5.98E24x 7.36E22)/3.78E8^2
F=2.06E20

thats a huge number does that seem correct..

for b) all i changed was the distance which i added the radius of the Earth instead which gave 3.9E8
F=1.92E20

i hope this is right...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are likely off by the factor of the mass of the Earth.

They only asked about attraction to the moon. The other mass that you are considering are the 1 kg blobs.

As to your distances You would do well to take the Earth moon distance and add a radius of Earth to one and subtract for the other.

Good luck.

Oh ok i see now i was actually calculating the attraction of the Earth to the moon instead of the blob to the moon
cheers thanks for that.

ok now i get Fnear= 3.4e-5
and Ffar= 3.2e-5

that sounds much better i think.

Quick question are the units for the gravitational force N ? seeing how in the equation there are 2 kg / m^2

annjolino said:
Quick question are the units for the gravitational force N ? seeing how in the equation there are 2 kg / m^2

Check out the units of the gravitational constant.

What is the gravitational force of the moon?

The gravitational force of the moon is 1.62 meters per second squared, which is approximately 1/6th of the gravitational force on Earth.

How is the gravitational force of the moon calculated?

The gravitational force of the moon can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation: F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

How does the gravitational force of the moon affect objects on Earth?

The gravitational force of the moon affects objects on Earth by causing tides in the ocean and slightly altering the Earth's rotation and orbit. It also has a small effect on the weight of objects on Earth, making them slightly lighter when the moon is directly overhead.

Is the gravitational force of the moon consistent?

Yes, the gravitational force of the moon is consistent. It follows the same law of gravity and its force remains constant unless the mass or distance of the objects change.

How does the gravitational force of the moon compare to other celestial objects?

The gravitational force of the moon is relatively weak compared to other celestial objects like planets and stars. However, it is stronger than the gravitational force of smaller objects like asteroids and comets.