Calculate the initial velocity given degree and time

In summary, the question asks for the initial velocity of an object shot at 70 degrees and taking 6.5 seconds to land. The suggestion is to look at the y direction first and use the equation Range = v02sin2θ/g. However, the asker is unsure if this applies and tries the method of dividing into x and y components. They are stuck on finding the value of s in the equation Voy=s*Cos(theta)*t -.5gt^2. They are seeking help and are unclear on the concept of physics.
://Justice

Homework Statement

haha, so hopefully my last question for the night!
Find the initial velocity, when the object is shot at 70 degrees and took 6.5s to land. (hint: look at the y direction first this time)
(For more information regarding my question, visit my earlier question from tonight: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2890328#post2890328)

Homework Equations

So, I doubt it will work, but there is the equation I used earlier, Range = v02sin2θ/g

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know that there is the method of dividing it up into components of x and y, however I did not quite understand that. When calculating the initial velocity, given distance traveled and degree, I used Range = v02sin2θ/g which worked great (refer to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...28#post2890328 [Broken] ), however, I don't know if that can apply to this too... Sorry, but physics is really confusing me at the minute

Let me try the component method... Okay, so, looking at the y component. Y is affected by g. Voy=s*Cos(theta)*t -.5gt^2. (I don't know if that equation is correct). So, than, I don't know s... stuck... Sure I did something wrong or I am just not getting something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
*Bump*
I really need help with this tonight...

1. What is the formula for calculating initial velocity given degree and time?

The formula for calculating initial velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you convert degrees to radians for this calculation?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula radians = (degrees * π) / 180. Simply multiply the degree measurement by π (pi) and divide by 180.

3. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis. This can also be represented by a negative degree measurement in the calculation.

4. What units should be used for time in this calculation?

For this calculation, time should be measured in seconds (s). Make sure that the time unit is consistent with the unit used for acceleration (m/s^2).

5. Is the initial velocity the same as the average velocity?

No, the initial velocity is the velocity at the beginning of the motion, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time. Initial velocity can change throughout the motion, while average velocity considers the overall movement.