Calculate the strength of several polycarbonate sheets laminated together

• Thread starter Plat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strength
In summary, the conversation discusses the strength of multiple sheets of material when bonded together compared to a single, thicker sheet. The speaker has found that using a solvent to fuse the sheets together creates a stronger bond. They have also conducted deflection testing and found that the deflection decreases exponentially with each additional layer added. With four layers of 2mm each, the beam can support 110kg without permanent deformation.
Plat
Based on dimensions and the materials' Young's modulus, I know how to calculate the expected deflection of a rectangular sheet of material under a given distributed or point load and given various edge support conditions.

I have discovered however that multiple thinner sheets when bonded together are stronger than a single, thicker sheet of the same total thickness.

I am curious as to:

1. Why and how this is possible
2. How the strength of such multiple-sheet laminations may be calculated in terms of deflection under load assuming no bonding failure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of adhesive are you using, and how does its strength compare to that of the polycarbonate?

I have been using simple lacquer thinner to wet the surface of one sheet and then press another against it.

My understanding is that this solvent causes the polycarbonate from each piece to fuse together, leaving no foreign material or adhesive.

I have done deflection testing with a 20cm beam simply supported on each end, and applying three different masses to the center and measuring the downward deflection each produces with a micrometer. This deflection decreases exponentially (somewhere between power of 2.5 and 4.5) with each additional layer added.

With 4 layers of 2mm each, the 20cm inch beam can easily support at least 110kg in the center without permanent deformation.

1. How do you calculate the strength of several polycarbonate sheets laminated together?

The strength of several polycarbonate sheets laminated together can be calculated by first determining the individual strength of each sheet and then considering the bonding strength between the sheets. The total strength will depend on the number of sheets, their thickness, and the type of adhesive used for lamination.

2. What factors affect the strength of laminated polycarbonate sheets?

The strength of laminated polycarbonate sheets is affected by several factors, including the thickness of each individual sheet, the number of sheets laminated together, the type and quality of adhesive used for lamination, and the environmental conditions in which the sheets will be used.

3. How can I determine the bonding strength between polycarbonate sheets?

The bonding strength between polycarbonate sheets can be determined by conducting a peel test. This involves applying a force perpendicular to the laminated surface to measure the amount of force required to separate the sheets. The higher the force required, the stronger the bond between the sheets.

4. Is there a standard formula for calculating the strength of laminated polycarbonate sheets?

There is no standard formula for calculating the strength of laminated polycarbonate sheets as it depends on various factors such as the type of adhesive used, the thickness and number of sheets, and the environmental conditions. However, engineering principles and calculations can be used to estimate the strength based on these factors.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my calculated strength for laminated polycarbonate sheets?

To ensure the accuracy of the calculated strength for laminated polycarbonate sheets, it is important to use accurate and up-to-date data for the individual strength of each sheet and the bonding strength between them. Additionally, conducting tests and experiments on the actual laminated sheets can help validate the calculated strength values.