Calculate the sum of fractions

In summary, the sum of fractions is the result of adding two or more fractions together, expressed as a single fraction. To calculate the sum, a common denominator must be found for all fractions involved and the numerators are added while keeping the common denominator. It is possible to add fractions with different denominators, but a common denominator must be found first. Mixed numbers do not need to be converted before adding, and there are some shortcuts and tricks, such as finding a common denominator, using the least common multiple, and finding equivalent fractions, that can make calculating the sum of fractions easier.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
If \(\displaystyle x,\;y,\;z\in\mathbb{C}\) and \(\displaystyle x+y+z=2\), \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+z^2=3\), \(\displaystyle xyz=4\), calculate \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{xy+z-1}+\frac{1}{yz+x-1}+\frac{1}{xz+y-1}\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
If \(\displaystyle x,\;y,\;z\in\mathbb{C}\) and \(\displaystyle x+y+z=2\), \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+z^2=3\), \(\displaystyle xyz=4\), calculate \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{xy+z-1}+\frac{1}{yz+x-1}+\frac{1}{xz+y-1}\).

Write $\sum x$ for $x+y+z$, $\sum yz$ for $yz+zx+xy$ and $\sum x^2$ for $x^2+y^2+z^2$. Then $2\sum yz = \Bigl(\sum x\Bigr)^2 - \sum x^2 = 2^2-3 = 1$ and so $\sum yz = \frac12.$

The equation with roots $x,y,z$ is thus $t^3 - 2t^2 + \frac12t - 4 = 0$. (This equation only has one real root, so it's just as well that the question is about complex numbers.)

Now let $\alpha = yz+x$, $\beta = zx+y$ and $\gamma = xy+z$. The next step is to find the symmetric functions $\sum\alpha$, $\sum\beta\gamma$ and $\alpha\beta\gamma$. For this, we first need to find the value of $\sum x\bigl(y^2+z^2\bigr)$ and $\sum y^2z^2$. To do that, notice that $\sum x \sum yz = 3xyz + \sum x\bigl(y^2+z^2\bigr)$, from which $\sum x\bigl(y^2+z^2\bigr) = -11.$ Also, $\Bigl(\sum yz\Bigr)^2 = \sum y^2z^2 + 2xyz\sum x$, from which $\sum y^2z^2 = \frac14 - 16 = -\frac{63}4.$

We can now calculate that $$\textstyle \sum\alpha = \sum yz + \sum x = \tfrac72,$$ $$\textstyle \sum\beta\gamma = \sum\bigl(x^2yz + xy^2 + xz^2 + yz\bigr) = xyz\sum x + \sum x\bigl(y^2+z^2\bigr) + \sum yz = 8 - 11 + \tfrac12 = -\tfrac52,$$ $$\textstyle \alpha\beta\gamma = (yz+x)(zx+y)(xy+z) = (xyz)^2 + xyz\sum x^2 + \sum y^2z^2 + xyz = 16 + 12 - \tfrac{63}4 + 4 = \tfrac{65}4.$$

From those calculations, the equation with roots $\alpha,\,\beta,\,\gamma$ is $t^3 - \frac72t^2 - \frac52t - \frac{65}4$. The equation with roots $\alpha-1,\,\beta-1,\,\gamma-1$ is $(t+1)^3 - \frac72(t+1)^2 - \frac52(t+1) - \frac{65}4$, or $4t^3 -2t^2 -26t - 85 = 0.$ Replacing $t$ by $1/t$, it follows that the equation with roots $1/(\alpha-1),\,1/(\beta-1),\,1/(\gamma-1)$ is $85t^3 + 26t^2 + 2t - 4 = 0.$

Finally, the sum of the roots of that last equation is $$-\frac{26}{85} = \frac1{\alpha-1} + \frac1{\beta-1} + \frac1{\gamma-1} = \frac1{yz+x-1} +\frac1{zx+y-1} + \frac1{xy+z-1}.$$

Disclaimer: I have not checked the details, so the answer may be wrong. But the method should be correct.

Edit. That answer is indeed wrong, and the answer given below by Jester and anemone is correct. I don't have the patience to search for where I went wrong, and in any case anemone's method is far neater and shorter than mine.

Last edited:
I did it another way (and got a different answer).

First, as was stated $x, y$ and $z$ satisfy

$2r^3 - 4r^2 + r - 8 = 0$

Next, we can re-write our target equation using $xyz=4$ as

$ \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{x} + x - 1} + \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{y} + y - 1} + \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{z} + z - 1}$

If we let $w = \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{x} + x - 1}$ then we can show that

$ w^3 + \dfrac{2}{9}w^2 - \dfrac{2}{81}w - \dfrac{4}{81} = 0$

so the sum of the three roots, which is our target, is $-\dfrac{2}{9}$.

Thanks to Opalg and Jester for participating in this challenge problem.

I solved it differently and here is my solution:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{xy+z-1}+\frac{1}{yz+x-1}+\frac{1}{xz+y-1}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{xy+(2-x-y)-1}+\frac{1}{yz+(2-y-z)-1}+\frac{1}{xz+(2-x-z)-1}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{xy-x-y+1}+\frac{1}{yz-y-z+1}+\frac{1}{xz-x-z+1}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{1}{(x-1)(y-1)}+\frac{1}{(y-1)(z-1)}+\frac{1}{(x-1)(z-1)}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{(z-1)+(x-1)+(y-1)}{(x-1)(y-1)(z-1)}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{2-3}{xyz-(xy+yz+xz)+(x+y+z)-1}\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{-1}{4-\frac{1}{2}+(2)-1}\)

\(\displaystyle =-\frac{2}{9}\)

Hi Jester,
I have tried many ways to figure out how could we end up with the cubic function of $ w^3 + \dfrac{2}{9}w^2 - \dfrac{2}{81}w - \dfrac{4}{81} = 0$ if we let $w = \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{x} + x - 1}$...with no luck.

My convoluted attempt to generalize that cubic function is a great deal more difficult than to find the value for the target expression, LOL!:eek:

Could you please tell me how did you obtain $ w^3 + \dfrac{2}{9}w^2 - \dfrac{2}{81}w - \dfrac{4}{81} = 0$ as you showed in your solution?

Many, many thanks in advance.

With my target expression, since each expression is the same, I figured that if I could find a cubic associated with it, I would have the answer I was looking for. Given that x satisfies

$2x^3-4x^2+x-8 = 0$

then it was a matter of tour de force

Letting $w =\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{x} + x-1}$ and allowing that $w$ satisfy a cubic

$w^3 + aw^2 + bw + c = 0$

Simplifying gave

$c{x}^{6}+ \left( b-3\,c \right) {x}^{5}+ \left( -2\,b+a+15\,c \right)
{x}^{4}+ \left( 1-a+9\,b-25\,c \right) {x}^{3}$
$+ \left( -8\,b+4\,a+60\,
c \right) {x}^{2}+ \left( 16\,b-48\,c \right) x+64\,c=0$.

Imposing the cubic in $x$ reduced this to

$\left( 13\,b+2+\frac{11}{2}\,a+{\frac {235}{4}}\,c \right) {x}^{2}+ \left( {\frac {47}{4}}\,b-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4}\,c+\frac{7}{2}\,a \right) x+4+34\,b+82\,c+4\,a = 0
$

and setting the coefficients to zero and solving for $a, b$ and $c$ gave me what I was looking for.

Hi Jester,

Great explanation and thanks for the insights!:)

Related to Calculate the sum of fractions

What is the sum of fractions?

The sum of fractions is the result of adding two or more fractions together. It is expressed as a single fraction, also known as a combined fraction, which represents the combined amount of the individual fractions.

How do you calculate the sum of fractions?

To calculate the sum of fractions, you must first find a common denominator for all the fractions involved. Then, add the numerators of the fractions together and keep the common denominator. Simplify the resulting fraction if necessary.

Can fractions with different denominators be added together?

Yes, fractions with different denominators can be added together. However, before adding them, you must first find a common denominator for all the fractions involved. This will make it easier to add the numerators and keep the resulting fraction in its simplest form.

Do mixed numbers need to be converted into improper fractions before adding them?

No, mixed numbers do not need to be converted into improper fractions before adding them. You can add mixed numbers directly by first converting them into improper fractions, or by changing the mixed numbers into fractions with the same denominators.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to calculating the sum of fractions?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts or tricks that can make calculating the sum of fractions easier. These include finding a common denominator, using the least common multiple, and finding equivalent fractions. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concept of fractions and how to add them before using these shortcuts.