Calculate Velocity: Initial Radial Velocity 0.325 m/s

• Thread starter Granger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: in the original post, but you need to write it for the position x, not the equilibrium position x_eq
Granger

Homework Statement

A wheel drive in the horizontal plane with angular velocity 13 rad / s. Two bodies mass mA = 1 kg and mB = 1.4 kg slide without friction along a rail fixed to the disk and passing through its center. The two bodies are connected by a bar inextensible (negligible mass) and 0.3m long.

Knowing that the body A is initially 15 cm from the center, determine the initial radial velocity that should print the body so that his movement tends to break even.

Homework Equations

aA = xA w^2 - (mB l w^2) / (mA+mB)
xA(eq) = (mBl/(mA+mB))

The Attempt at a Solution

I determine the equations above, but I don't how to use them to calculate what I need to...
Te correct answer is 0,325 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write your first equation as a differential equation and solve it. Then use the information that x is bounded as time tends to infinity.

haruspex said:
You need to write your first equation as a differential equation and solve it. Then use the information that x is bounded as time tends to infinity.

Hi!
So I did it and I found out that

rA = C1 e^-wt + C2 e^wt
rA (t=0) = C1 + C2
vA (t=0) = -C1 w + C2 w

we need C2=0 so I told that v (t=0) was also -wC1 -wC2

Then I wrote

rA = C1 e^-wt
vA = -wC1 e^-wt

rA(t=0) = r0 = C1

So

rA = r0 e^-wt
vA = -r0 w e^-wt

and then vA (t=0) - 1,95 m/s

But there's something I'm missing because the result is wrong... There's something about rAeq that I'm not guessing... Can you please help me?

How are you defining rA?

What do you mean?
rA = r0 e^-wt

Granger said:
What do you mean?
rA = r0 e^-wt
That's an equation, not a definition. What does you variable rA represent? If it represents the distance of mass A from the axis then your differential equation solution is clearly wrong. It would imply that the mass reaches the axis at infinite time.

Oh yes now I'm understanding I guess... Thanks! So How can I fix the solution? Can you explain?

Granger said:
Oh yes now I'm understanding I guess... Thanks! So How can I fix the solution? Can you explain?
Please post the differential equation you obtained and the steps up to the solution you posted.

rA = C1 e^-wt + C2 e^wt
rA (t=0) = C1 + C2
vA (t=0) = -C1 w + C2 w

we need C2=0 so I told that v (t=0) was also -wC1 -wC2

-C1w +C2w = -wC1 - wC2
C2 = 0

Then I wrote

rA = C1 e^-wt
vA = -wC1 e^-wt
vA(t=0)= -C1w - C2w
rA(t=0) = r0 = C1

So

rA = r0 e^-wt
vA = -r0 w e^-wt

vA (t=0) = - r0 w e^-wt

and then vA (t=0) - 1,95 m/s

No, I asked for the differential equation. Your very first line there is an incorrect solution to the equation.

Ah

aA - w^2 rA = - w^2 (req - X)

if X = rAeq

aA - w^2rA = 0

Granger said:
Ah

aA - w^2 rA = - w^2 (req - X)

if X = rAeq

aA - w^2rA = 0
We're not looking for the equilibrium position. We need the general equation of motion of this system. Consider forces.

I'm really not understanding what i need to do

Granger said:
I'm really not understanding what i need to do
Consider the forces acting on the system and write the equation for the resulting acceleration along the rod.
E.g. let x be the distance of mass A from the axis. Find an equation relating ##\ddot x## to x, ##\omega##, length of rod L, and the two masses.

Edit: it's the first of your two 'relevant equations'

1. What is initial radial velocity?

Initial radial velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving away or towards a reference point along a straight line. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. Why is it important to calculate velocity?

Calculating velocity allows us to understand how fast an object is moving and in what direction. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

3. How is initial radial velocity calculated?

Initial radial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This is known as the average velocity formula: v = Δx / Δt.

4. What factors can affect initial radial velocity?

The initial radial velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, acceleration, and any external forces acting on it. It can also be influenced by the distance and angle between the object and the reference point.

5. Can initial radial velocity change over time?

Yes, initial radial velocity can change over time as the object's speed and direction of motion may change. This can happen due to various factors, such as external forces, gravitational pull, and collisions with other objects.