Where Did I Go Wrong in My 3-Way Vector Calculation?

• Thread starter Apple&Orange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation was about a problem with a calculation in a physics problem. The method used was to resolve vectors into components and add them, but this approach can lead to compounded mistakes. The conversation also discussed the use of sin, cos, and Pythagoras in the calculations, and the importance of checking for rounding errors and using exact numbers. The issue was resolved with the help of other users.
Apple&Orange

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-15_18-24-22.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't remember what this method of calculation this is as it's been a while since I've done this.

upload_2016-5-15_18-25-55.png
[/B]

Could someone explain to me what I've done wrong in my calculations?

The answer was 13.8N at 80 degrees.

upload_2016-5-15_18-28-37.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to do it graphically. The method you are looking for is "head to tail".
What you did was resolve the vectors into components, add the components... this approach is prone to compounding mistakes.
You probably have rounding errors due to irrational numbers, check your arithmetic too
i.e. the value for y in (2) is incorrect.

... notice
- for (2) and (3) the triangles are similar - in the technical sense: the 90-60-30 triangle has sides of ratios 1:2:√3
- force B and force C are 90deg to each other.

Look at how you computed y in the second vector is it really sqrt(7^2 - 3.5^2) = 2?

does 2^2 + 3.5^2 =?= 7^2? that's a simple check you could have done.

Also if you're going to use sin and cos why are you bothering with pythagoras? it takes longer to compute and its not elegant in this case.

The third vector y value is 15/2 = 7.5 an exact number which again shows why using Pythagoras causes a rounding problem that didn't need to be there.

You should KNOW that sin 60 = sqrt(3)/2 and cos 60 = 1/2 and you should know that sqrt(3) = 1.732...

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon and jedishrfu. It turns out it was the wrong calculation in (2) as you guys spotted.

Need to triple check my work next time :smile:

Likes Simon Bridge

1. What is a 3-way vector?

A 3-way vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a 3-way vector?

The magnitude of a 3-way vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of each component (x, y, and z).

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In other words, a scalar is a number, while a vector is a combination of a number and a direction.

4. How do you find the direction of a 3-way vector?

The direction of a 3-way vector can be found using trigonometric functions, such as tangent and inverse tangent, to calculate the angles between the vector and each coordinate axis.

5. Can you perform vector operations with 3-way vectors?

Yes, vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication can be performed with 3-way vectors. However, these operations must take into account the direction and magnitude of each vector component.