Calculating a Finite Series: Finding Symmetry and Inductive Formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the sum for a given formula involving variables and natural numbers, and the attempts made to find an inductive formula. The goal is to determine the behavior of the series for large values of n and it is noted that it is symmetrical. The conversation also mentions a related use of the formula.
Latrace
Hello,

I would love some help on calculating the following sum for [itex]\alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]n \in \mathbb{N} \backslash \{0\}[/itex]:

[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^{\alpha}(n-i)^{\beta}.[/itex]

Thanks in advance,
Latrace

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What did you already try to solve this problem?

([itex] n \geq 2 [/itex], of course) I tried to find an inductive formula by setting [itex] n = 2, n = 3 [/itex] and [itex] n = 4 [/itex], but don't find anything interesting. Of course we already knew that the thing is symmetric, symbolically it is also [itex] \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^{\beta}(n-i)^{\alpha} [/itex], but that's about all I find when I try to find an inductive formula. I think now that this might be the easiest way to express the series.
What I eventually need is the behavior for large [itex] n [/itex], but that's [itex] \sim (n-1)^{\beta} + (n-1)^{\alpha} [/itex]. I came across this when I wanted to calculate [itex] \displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}x^m \mathrm{d}x [/itex] for [itex] m \geq 1 [/itex] explicitally using the Riemann sum.

What is a finite series?

A finite series is a sequence of numbers that has a specific number of terms and can be summed up. It is also called a finite sum.

How do you calculate a finite series?

To calculate a finite series, you need to know the first and last term of the sequence, as well as the number of terms in the series. You can then use a formula, such as the arithmetic or geometric series formula, to find the sum of the series.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series has a common difference between each term, while a geometric series has a common ratio between each term. This means that in an arithmetic series, each term is added by a constant value, while in a geometric series, each term is multiplied by a constant value.

Why is it important to calculate a finite series?

Calculating a finite series is important in many fields of science and mathematics. It allows us to find the total sum of a sequence of numbers, which can be useful in financial calculations, analyzing data, and solving various mathematical problems.

What are some real-life applications of calculating finite series?

Finite series are used in various real-life applications, such as calculating compound interest in banking, determining population growth in biology, and predicting future stock prices in finance. They are also used in physics to calculate the total energy or distance traveled in a given situation.