Calculating A in SHM from x, v & a

• Thread starter mudkip9001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, you cannot work out the amplitude knowing only displacement, velocity and acceleration. You need to know the spring constant, the mass or the phase angle.
mudkip9001
how can you work out the amplitude knowing only displacement, velocity and acceleration?
I have been able to work out angular velocity, frequency and period, but I can't work out amplitude without knowing either the spring constant, the mass or the phase angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Why don't you post what you have thus far?

HINT: What is the velocity of the particle when it is at it's amplitude?

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF,

Thank you, it seems like a nice place :)

Hootenanny said:
Why don't you post what you have thus far?

I have these equations

x=Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex])
v=-A[tex]\omega[/tex]sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])
a=-[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex]) =[tex]\omega[/tex]x

I could work out [tex]\omega[/tex] by re arranging the equation for a.

Hootenanny said:
HINT: What is the velocity of the particle when it is at it's amplitude?
It's 0, but I'm still left with two unknown variables, [tex]\phi[/tex] and A, am I not?

edit: why does omega keep showing up as superscript?

Have you any initial conditions, such as whether it starts from x=A or x=0?

Sorry, I should have typed up the question from the start:
You are watching an object in SHM. When the object is displaced 0.600m to the right of its equilibrium position, it has a velocity of 2.20 m/s to the right and an acceleration of 8.40 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex] to the left. How much farther from this point will the object move before it stops momentarily and then starts to move back to the left?

I struggled with this for hours and concluded that the question must be wrong, but I went to the homepage of the textbook and downloaded the errata and didn't find anything.

It seems to me that you have a system of simultaneous equations.

Which values of [itex]\left(\omega t + \phi\right)[/itex] correspond to the particle being at x=A?

Last edited:
when x=A, [itex]\left(\omega t + \phi\right)[/itex]=0

I still can't solve it though, I just end up with division of 0, can you confirm that it really is solvable?

Hi mudkip9001,

Try conservation of energy. Equate the energy at the given point to the energy at the amplitude. What do you get?

but I don't know neither k nor m

You'll be able to get rid of them by using what you know about the acceleration.

What I mean is that although you don't know either k or m, you can find the value of (k/m).

I just wrote all this, and then figured it out myself just as I finished. But I guess I might as well post t anyway. Thanks for all your help, I'm very relieved now (but I also feel a bit dumb, since I was so sure there was something wrong with the question:grumpy:).

Thanks, I never thought of that. However, I'm still not getting the same answer as the book:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]kx[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]kA[tex]^{2}[/tex]

solving for a gives me A=[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+\frac{m}{k}v^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-x}{a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{m}{k}[/tex]=0.0714

so
A=[tex]\sqrt{0.6^{2}+0.0714*2.2^{2}}[/tex]=0.840m

but the book says 0.240m, where did I go wrong?

where I went wrong was that the question is how much further it would go, not the amplitude.

What you were missing is squaring the quantity m/k (i.e., A = \sqrt((x^2+v^2)/(x/a)^2)
(Sorry I couldn't write this in pretty-print. I'm new here.)

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period. It can be described by the equation x = A*sin(ωt), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and t is time.

How do you calculate amplitude (A) in SHM?

The amplitude (A) in SHM can be calculated by finding the maximum displacement from equilibrium of the oscillating object. This can be done by measuring the distance from the equilibrium point to the peak of the oscillation or by measuring the total distance traveled during one full period.

What is the relationship between velocity (v) and displacement (x) in SHM?

In SHM, the velocity (v) and displacement (x) of an object are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the object moves further away from equilibrium, its velocity increases, and as it moves closer to equilibrium, its velocity decreases. This relationship can be described by the equation v = ωA*cos(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and t is time.

How can acceleration (a) be calculated in SHM?

The acceleration (a) in SHM can be calculated by taking the second derivative of the displacement equation with respect to time. This means that a = -ω^2*A*sin(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and t is time. It is important to note that the acceleration is always directed towards the equilibrium point in SHM.

Can the values of displacement (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) be used to calculate the period (T) of SHM?

Yes, the values of displacement (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a) can be used to calculate the period (T) of SHM. The period is the amount of time it takes for one full cycle of oscillation and can be calculated by using the equation T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. This means that the period is inversely proportional to the angular frequency.