Calculating Acceleration Limit Near 10 Solar Mass Object

In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forum discussed the limit of acceleration and the correct formula for calculating it. The formula showed that as an object approaches the horizon, acceleration increases without bound. The conversation also touched on the concept of relativistic mass and its irrelevance to the discussion. Ultimately, it was concluded that there is no limit for acceleration in the universe.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
What is the limit of acceleration?
I've been reading old threads, and I found this.
PeterDonis said:
You are doing the wrong calculation. ...the correct GR formula is...

$$
a = \frac{GM}{R^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 R}}}
$$

According to this formula, ##a## increases without bound as ##R \rightarrow 2GM/c^2##, i.e., as the horizon is approached...
G = 6.673 x 10-11 N m2/kg2
Solar mass = 1.989 * 1030kg

And I tried to plug in some numbers...
In a distance 30 km from a 10 solar mass object the acceleration is...
##a = \frac{GM}{r^2\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{c^2R}}}##
##a = \frac{6.673*10^{-11}*10*1.989*10^{30}}{10^{10}\sqrt{1-\frac{2*6.673*10^{-11}*30*1.989*10^{30}}{9 * 10 ^{16} * 30000}}}##
##a = 22725433875431.4000## or 2 trillion km per second squared. (if my calculation is correct. But I calculate it carefully, sorry if I make a mistake here)

Which seems much higher than the speed of light, 300 thousands km per second

But, of course that statement above is unreasonable, irrelevant. Because acceleration is in length per time squared. And 300 thousands km per second is in our units, our km, our second.

So is there a limit for acceleration as in limit for velocity in this universe is the speed of light? (beside expansion of galaxy)
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @Stephanus:

I am not sure what exactly is confusing you. What Peter's quote shows is that while there is a limit on velocity, there is no limit on the rate at which velocity can increase. Obviously for an extremely high value for a, the time during which an object can have this acceleration is very small.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Stephanus
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi @Stephanus:

I am not sure what exactly is confusing you. What Peter's quote shows is that while there is a limit on velocity, there is no limit on the rate at which velocity can increase. Obviously for an extremely high value for a, the time during which an object can have this acceleration is very small.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
I haven't thought about Peter equation, until I tried pluggin some numbers and ##a=\frac{2,000,000,000,000}{s^2}## came up. Of course you're right, "there's no limit on the rate at which velocity can increase". Just want to discuss it with someone else, I'm afraid I make mistake.
Yes, yes, I understand. Thank you.

Stephanus said:
I tried pluggin some numbers and ##a=\frac{2,000,000,000,000}{s^2}## came up.
That's not an acceleration. Check the units.

jbriggs444 said:
That's not an acceleration. Check the units.
##a=\frac{2000000000000m}{s2}##

Stephanus said:
Which seems much higher than the speed of light, 300 thousands km per second
But, of course that statement above is unreasonable, irrelevant. Because acceleration is in length per time squared. And 300 thousands km per second is in our units, our km, our second.
Well acceleration is not speed. And as the speed increases so does the mass ([itex] m_{v}=\frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/itex]), so you need to modify the formula to take that into account.

I am not expert but I have read somewhere, if we assume velocity of object can't exceed velocity of light - c. Then maximum change in velocity can be 2c per second. Hence acceleration can't exceed 2c, i.e. 2*c is limit of the acceleration.

Chadi B Ghaith said:
I am not expert but I have read somewhere, if we assume velocity of object can't exceed velocity of light - c. Then maximum change in velocity can be 2c per second. Hence acceleration can't exceed 2c, i.e. 2*c is limit of the acceleration.
Can you please give some source/ proof for that?

Chadi B Ghaith said:
I am not expert

That is correct.

Chadi B Ghaith said:
but I have read somewhere,

That is not an acceptable source.

Chadi B Ghaith said:
if we assume velocity of object can't exceed velocity of light - c. Then maximum change in velocity can be 2c per second. Hence acceleration can't exceed 2c, i.e. 2*c is limit of the acceleration.

That is not correct. There is nothing magical about seconds.

Chadi B Ghaith said:
I'm no expert either. :smile:. But I think there is no limit for acceleration.
You can accelerate ten times the speed of light (whatever it means) say 3 millions km/second squared, but only for 0.1 sec I think.
- Hence acceleration can't exceed 2c
Now, I think this is a false statement?
Intutitively we would have said that accelerate at 600 thousands km / second squared is accelerate 2 times the speed of light. But again I think this is a wrong statement. And doesn't make any sense either.

When I first created this thread, I just realize that acceleration can be very high (may be there is a limit?)
But thinking it over again, I realize that it doesn't make any sense for acceleration having a limit.

Svein said:
And as the speed increases so does the mass

Why you bring that up when most of the experts here try to convince people to NOT use relativistic mass?

weirdoguy said:
Why you bring that up when most of the experts here try to convince people to NOT use relativistic mass?
Perhaps @Svein is trying to show the relation between acceleration and mass. But either way, I understand now. Intuitively we can get confused seeing 600 thousands km / m2. Seems like twice the speed of light. But it's irrelevant.

You mean km/s2, right?
I suppose you did not yet understand that acceleration and velocity are different quantities and comparing them is meaningless.
Like comparing your height with your weight and saying that your weight (140 lb) is twice as much as your height (70").

Yeah I understand it all right :smile:. But seeing ##600000km/s^2## at first glance I thought I made a calculation error. Then I realize...

255px-New_cuyama.jpg

From the New Cuyama, California Wikipedia page.

BoB

Likes Ibix, beamie564, Stephanus and 1 other person
Okay, okay. I get the joke. It took me a while. :oldlaugh::oldlaugh::oldlaugh:

1. What is the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object?

The acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object is the maximum acceleration that an object can experience due to the gravitational pull of the 10 solar mass object. This limit is determined by the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the 10 solar mass object.

2. How is the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object calculated?

The acceleration limit can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By plugging in the mass of the object and the distance between it and the 10 solar mass object, the acceleration limit can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object?

The acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object is significant because it determines the maximum speed at which an object can move without being pulled into the 10 solar mass object by its gravity. This limit is important for understanding the dynamics and potential dangers of objects in the vicinity of such massive objects.

4. Can the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object be exceeded?

Yes, the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object can be exceeded if an object is given an external force, such as a rocket engine or a collision with another object. However, if an object exceeds this limit, it will continue to accelerate towards the 10 solar mass object until it reaches a speed at which it is no longer able to escape the object's gravity.

5. How does the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object compare to other objects in the universe?

The acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object is relatively high compared to other objects in the universe. For example, the acceleration limit near a 1 solar mass object is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, while the acceleration limit near a 10 solar mass object is approximately 98 m/s^2. However, there are much more massive objects, such as black holes, that have even higher acceleration limits due to their immense gravitational pull.