Calculating backlog in quarters

• Thread starter Huumah
  • Start date
In summary, you have a demand for 6 quarters of [29, 24,32,21,31,21], and can produce 25 units each quarter. To calculate how many units you have to deliver at least 1 quarter too late and also how many units you deliver at least 2 quarters too late, you need to use your table. However, if you have a backlog of 8 units, it will continue to grow even if you produce less than 25 in any quarter.
Huumah
Mod note: Moved from a technical math section, so the template doesn't appear.
Hi

I have a demand for 6 quarters of [29, 24,32,21,31,21] and can produce 25 units each quarter.

I am trying to calculate how many units I have to deliver at least 1 quarter too late and also how many units I deliver at least 2 quarters too late.

Is my table correct ? I get so confused when I get to a production of <0.

How can i calculate the ones that are at least one quarter too late and at least 2 quarters too late?

Code:
Demand    Production    Backlog
    -------------------------------
    29          25             4
    24          21             3
    32          18             14
    21          4              17
    31          -13            44
    21          -57            78

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huumah said:
Hi

I have a demand for 6 quarters of [29, 24,32,21,31,21] and can produce 25 units each quarter.

I am trying to calculate how many units I have to deliver at least 1 quarter too late and also how many units I deliver at least 2 quarters too late.

How can i calculate the ones that are at least one quarter too late and at least 2 quarters too late?

Code:
In the first quarter, what happens to the backlog of 4? Does it get added to the demand for the next quarter? If it does, your table doesn't show it.

How can production be negative? You can produce 15 things or 0 things, but what does it mean to produce -13 things?

Is this a homework problem?

Huumah said:
Mod note: Moved from a technical math section, so the template doesn't appear.
Hi

Code:

I cannot figure out what you are attempting to do; your problem description makes no sense to me.

Basically, you have a total 6-quarter demand of 29 + 24 + ... + 21 = 158, and a maximum possible 6-month production of 6*25 = 150. Therefore, no matter what you do you will have a total backlog of 158 - 150 = 8, and it will be even higher if you produce less than 25 in any quarters. Then, exactly what happens to the backlogs depends on the backlog-filling policy. For example, if you fill as much of previous backlogs as soon as possible, you can produce 25 in each of quarters 1,2, using 4 units of the Q2 production to fill the 4 units backlogged from Q1; that will leave 21 units available to meet Q2 demand, so you will end Q2 with a backlog of 24 - 21 = 3 units, etc.

There are, of course, other policies possible, but since you do not specify any objective (such as minimization of some type of penalty cost), it is impossible to narrow it down to a single policy. You need to specify more information.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You need to specify more information.
Yes.

1. What is a backlog in quarters?

A backlog in quarters refers to the amount of work that still needs to be completed within a specific period of time, typically a quarter or three months. It is a measure of the remaining work that needs to be completed in order to achieve a specific goal or project.

2. How do you calculate backlog in quarters?

The formula for calculating backlog in quarters is:
Backlog in Quarters = Total Backlog / Average Quarterly Revenue.
To calculate the total backlog, add up all the remaining work that needs to be completed. The average quarterly revenue can be calculated by dividing the total revenue for the year by four (since there are four quarters in a year).

3. Why is it important to calculate backlog in quarters?

Calculating backlog in quarters is important because it helps to track and monitor the progress of a project or goal. It allows for better planning and resource allocation, as well as identifying any potential delays or bottlenecks in the process. It also helps to set realistic deadlines and expectations for stakeholders.

4. What factors can affect the backlog in quarters?

The backlog in quarters can be affected by various factors such as changes in project scope, resource availability, unexpected delays or issues, and changes in customer requirements. It is important to regularly review and update the backlog in quarters as these factors can impact the overall timeline and progress of a project.

5. How can backlog in quarters be managed effectively?

To manage the backlog in quarters effectively, it is important to prioritize tasks and regularly review and update the backlog. This helps to ensure that the most important and urgent tasks are being addressed first. It is also important to communicate and collaborate with team members and stakeholders to ensure everyone is aligned and on track to meet the goals and objectives outlined in the backlog.