Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating baseball pitch speed

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    My brothers and I want to calculate our pitch speed. We have a simplified formula: M = (D/T) x (3,600/5,280). This will obviously have a large margin of error, but we'll try our best to accommodate. I need to know how to calculate air resistance into the equation. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2
    State what your variables are and their units.

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    M = Miles Per Hour
    D = Distance Traveled
    T = Time for ball to reach home plate
    3,600 = seconds in an hour
    5,280 = feet in a mile
    Conversion ratio: 0.682
    For example: (60.6 (feet)/0.50 (time to home plate)) x (3,600 (seconds per hour)/5,280 (feet per mile)) x (121.2 (feet per second)/0.682) = 82.65 miles per hour

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    Well if you are measuring both of these then you have air resistance and everything else in your equation already.

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5
    I took the OP to mean that, given how the velocity will decrease during flight, his pitch-to-catch-distance over flight-time will give him an underestimate of the speed when it left the pitcher's hand. So, taking into account the air drag would give him a better estimate.

Brett, have you seen this site? https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/balldrag.html

7. Apr 30, 2015 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There's an App for that! :smile:

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/baseball-radar-gun-apps

8. Apr 30, 2015 #7
    Thank you for the information! I will get to work as soon as the semester concludes. And berkeman, haha, I have seen those apps, but I would suspect those to have little accuracy - even less accuracy than doing it manually, even with my undoubtedly high margin of error! Haha!

9. Apr 30, 2015 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Does anybody know (I couldn't find it quickly with Google) -- When you get a speed number out of a baseball radar gun, is it the max or average speed? I'd guess it's the max...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook