A sphere with a hole through it (a triple integral).

In summary, the problem involves calculating the volume of the remaining solid when a cylindrical hole is bored through the center of a sphere with a given diameter. The volume can be determined by subtracting the volume of the hole from the volume of the sphere. The hole consists of a cylinder and two spherical caps, which can be calculated using triple integrals. However, it is also possible to directly calculate the volume of the hole using the method of cylinders. It is also interesting to note that the volume of remaining material in the sphere is equal to ##\frac 43\pi d^3## when the length of the hole is 2d.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

A sphere has a diameter of ##D = 2\rho = 4cm##. A cylindrical hole with a diameter of ##d = 2R = 2 cm## is bored through the center of the sphere. Calculate the volume of the remaining solid. (Spherical or cylindrical coordinates?)

hint: Place the shape into a convenient place in the xyz-coordinate system.

Homework Equations

Cylindrical coordinates:
\begin{cases}
x = rcos(\theta)\\
y = rsin(\theta)\\
z = z\\
x^2+y^2 = r^2\\
dV_c = rdzdrd\theta
\end{cases}
Spherical coordinates:
\begin{cases}
x = rcos(\theta) = \rho sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\\
y = rsin(\theta) = \rho sin(\phi)sin(\theta)\\
z = \rho cos(\phi)\\
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = \rho^2\\
dV_s = \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta
\end{cases}

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked around the internet and found the exact same problem, except in that case the presenter of the question was kind enough to point out that this would be easier to do in cylindrical coordinates. In any case, my guess is that I should try to calculate the volume of the hole and subtract it from the volume of the sphere which we know to be ##V_s = \frac{4}{3}\pi \rho^3##. The hole seems to consist of a cylinder, with two lobes attached at each end.

Let us place the sphere's center at the origin (note that the small r in the pictures should be ##R## considering our derivation of the volume below):

H6_51.png
H6_52.png
If we first try cylindrical coordinates, we can easily calculate the volume of the cylinder:

\begin{align*}
V_c
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{-\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}}^{\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}}rdzdrd\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} 2R\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}drd\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}d\theta\\
&= 2 \pi R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}
\end{align*}
As for the lobes, they are limited by
\begin{cases}
0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi\\
0 \leq r \leq R\\
\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} \leq z \leq \sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}
\end{cases}
Then the volume of our lobe is
\begin{align*}
V_L
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}}^{\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}} r dz dr d\theta \\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R} r \left( \sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}-\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} \right) dr d\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\left(\int_{0}^{R} r\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2} dr - \int_{0}^{R} r (\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} dr\right) d\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi}
\left(\int_{0}^{R}\frac{-1}{2}\times \frac{2}{3}\times \frac{3}{2}\times -2r\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2} dr
- \int_{0}^{R} r \stackrel{constant}{\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}} dr\right)
d\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \left[ \frac{-2}{6}\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}^3\right]_0^R - \frac{1}{2}R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} d\theta\\
&= \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{-1}{3}\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}^3 + \frac{1}{3}\rho^3 - \frac{1}{2}R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}\ d\theta\\
&= \frac{-2\pi}{3}\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}^3 + \frac{2\pi}{3}\rho^3 - \frac{2\pi}{2}R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}
\end{align*}
Now since in the case of our problem ##\rho = 2R##,
\begin{equation*}
\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} = \sqrt{(2R)^2 - R^2} = \sqrt{3R^2} = \sqrt{3}R
\end{equation*}
so
\begin{align*}
V_L
&= \frac{-2\pi}{3}\sqrt{\rho^2 - r^2}^3 + \frac{2\pi}{3}\rho^3 - \frac{2\pi}{2}R^2\sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2}\\
&= \frac{-2\pi}{3}(\sqrt{3}R)^3 + \frac{2\pi}{3}(2R)^3 - \pi R^2(\sqrt{3}R)\\
&= \pi R^3 \left( \frac{-6\sqrt{3}}{3} + \frac{16}{3} - \frac{3\sqrt{3}}{3}\right)\\
&=\frac{\pi R^3}{3}(16 - 9\sqrt{3})
\end{align*}
Then our volumes are:
\begin{cases}
Sphere: V_s &= \frac{4}{3}\pi \rho^3 \stackrel{\rho = 2R}{=} \frac{32}{3}\pi R^3\\
Cylinder: V_c &= 2\pi R^2 \sqrt{\rho^2 - R^2} = 2\sqrt{3}\pi R^3\\
Two \ lobes: 2V_L &= \frac{2\pi R^3}{3}(16 - 9\sqrt{3})
\end{cases}
and our total volume
\begin{align*}
V
&= V_s - V_c - 2V_L\\
&= \frac{32}{3}\pi R^3 - 2\sqrt{3}\pi R^3 - \frac{2\pi R^3}{3}(16 - 9\sqrt{3})\\
&= \frac{\pi R^3}{3} \left(32 - 2\sqrt{3} - 32 + 9\sqrt{3} \right)\\
&= \frac{12\sqrt{3}\pi R^3}{3}\\
&= 4\pi \sqrt{3} R^3\\
&\stackrel{R=1}{=} 4\pi \sqrt{3} \ (cm^3)
\end{align*}
which is the correct answer according to the question sheet.

Boom. Shaka. Laka.

I might get back to solving the spherical case in the future, but no way am I doing that now. This took me long enough with all the mistakes I made along the way and I have two more problems I need to get done by Monday.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question?

vela said:
Did you have a question?
I did. I just managed to figure it out it partway through typing this, so I figured I'd post it anyway. I just marked this as solved.

The limits on your integrals for calculating the volume of the cylinder are messed up. Perhaps just a typo, though I'm not sure where that 2R came from. And why did you set R=1 at the end when R=2 cm?

In any case, wouldn't it be more straightforward to not break it into pieces and just calculate the volume of the hole in one shot, perhaps using the method of cylinders?

vela said:
The limits on your integrals for calculating the volume of the cylinder are messed up. Perhaps just a typo, though I'm not sure where that 2R came from. And why did you set R=1 at the end when R=2 cm?

In any case, wouldn't it be more straightforward to not break it into pieces and just calculate the volume of the hole in one shot, perhaps using the method of cylinders?
Whoops. I changed my notation partway through the problem and forgot to change the original symbols to match.
Ninja editing...:cool:

P.S. I was specifically supposed to use triple integrals to solve this.

It is a remarkable fact that if a cylindrical hole is bored through the centre of a sphere, and the length of the hole is 2d (as measured along the remaining material) then the volume of material remaining in the sphere is ##\frac 43\pi d^3##. This can be seen by taking a slice perpendicular to the hole's axis. It is not hard to show that the area of the annulus depends only on d and the distance from the sphere's centre to the slice.
No integrals necessary, beyond the standard result for the volume of a sphere.

1. What is a sphere with a hole through it?

A sphere with a hole through it is a three-dimensional shape that has a spherical exterior and an empty space or cavity passing through its center. It can also be referred to as a spherical shell or a hollow sphere.

2. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, usually represented by a solid figure or a bounded space.

3. How is a triple integral used to calculate the volume of a sphere with a hole through it?

To calculate the volume of a sphere with a hole through it, a triple integral is used to integrate the function that represents the shape of the sphere. The limits of integration are determined by the radius of the sphere and the radius of the hole. The result of the integration gives the volume of the sphere with a hole through it.

4. What are the applications of a sphere with a hole through it in science?

A sphere with a hole through it has various applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and materials science. It can be used to model structures such as hollow planets, spherical containers, and porous materials. It also has applications in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

5. What are the limitations of using a triple integral to calculate the volume of a sphere with a hole through it?

One limitation of using a triple integral is that it can only be applied to simple, symmetrical shapes. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated volume depends on the precision of the integration and the function used to represent the shape.