Calculating Circular Arc Length: Radius, Angle, and Unknown Center

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the length of a circular arc defined by three points and a given radius. The formula used is s = r * theta, where "r" is the radius and "theta" is the angle subtended by the start and end points at the center. The issue arises when the answer needed is 2*pi - L for the major arc, but the calculated answer is only "L." The speaker suggests checking the given angle and the question to determine if the major or minor arc length is needed.
jrm2002
Circular arc--badly stuck

I have a circular arc defined by 3 points [start point, intermediate point an end point].
I know the radius of the circular arc too.
I know the angle subtended by the start and end point at the centre.
I do not know the center of the circle

Now,

I want to calculate the length of the arc using s = r * theta

"r" being the radius and "theta" the angle subtended by the start and end point at the centre.[theta being the smaller included angle]

Now, i get a length "L"

But in some problems my answer is correct value "L" but in some cases the answer i need is 2*pi - L [that corresponding to bigger included angle] but i get "L".This i checked graphically--

Howm to get the correct validation algebraically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you want to calculate the arc length of the major or minor arc?

That is the point--I have three points start,intermediate and end--if the centre of the circle is within the sector bounded by the three points I need the major arc length else if the canter of the circle is not within the sector bounded within the 3 points i need minor arc

I don't get what you're trying to say here. You said you're given angle subtended by the starting and ending point. Is that angle always <180 degrees? If not, then that means it's clear whether they want the major or minor arc. If it always is smaller than 180, then you have got to check the question to see which arc length they require. They shouldn't be that ambiguous about this.

What is a circular arc?

A circular arc is a portion of a circle's circumference. It is defined by two endpoints and the arc's center.

What does it mean to be "badly stuck" in a circular arc?

Being "badly stuck" in a circular arc refers to an object or particle being trapped or unable to move within the arc's boundaries, either due to physical barriers or forces preventing movement.

What causes objects to become badly stuck in a circular arc?

Objects can become badly stuck in a circular arc due to friction, adhesion, or other physical forces that create a barrier to movement within the arc.

How can being badly stuck in a circular arc affect research or experiments?

If an object or particle is badly stuck in a circular arc, it can affect the accuracy and reliability of data collected in experiments or research related to the arc. It may also hinder the ability to manipulate or control the object within the arc.

What methods can be used to prevent objects from becoming badly stuck in a circular arc?

To prevent objects from becoming badly stuck in a circular arc, researchers can utilize lubricants or coatings to reduce friction, adjust the arc's boundaries or dimensions, or use external forces to manipulate the object's movement within the arc.