How to find elastic strain energy from SMA hysteresis loops

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
scriptymender
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
G'day guys,

I am currently trying to calculate the damping ratio for Shape memory alloys using hysteresis loops. The damping ratio is usually represented as ΔU/2∏U, where ΔU is the energy lost due to material damping and U is the elastic strain energy. My problem is trying to find this elastic strain energy due to the unusual behaviour of shape memory alloys. I have attached an example of a hysteresis loop for an SMA undergoing the super elastic effect. If anyone could give me any help or guidance I would be extremely grateful and may even buy you a beer!

Thanks, Leon
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 596
Engineering news on Phys.org