Calculating Distance & Energy for Explosion to Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the distance from Earth to the moon and the energy needed to shoot a bullet and cause an explosion that would reach the moon. The bullet would need to travel at around 11.2 thousand m/s to hit the moon without accounting for atmospheric effects. The energy of the explosion would be proportional to its size, but the radius of the explosion is what ultimately matters. Empirical determination would be necessary due to the many variables involved.
dankelly08
ok just a couple of questions I have been thinking about.. this is not my area of expertise so help would be greatly appreciated

Could anyone tell me how far away from Earth I would have to be before I could shoot a bullet from a gun that would hit the moon. Supposing the bullet could travel at 1000 m/s.. is there a formula I could use?

And suppose I had a metal indestructable box and could cause and explosion 100,000 + feet above the earth, how many KJ would I need to produce to send it within the moons gravitational pull?

Also if the same experiment was done at around 36,000 miles above the Earth how many K/J would need to be created?

Any help would be fantastic :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The bullet would need to be traveling around 11.2 thousand m/s when it leaves the nozzle in order to hit the moon if we had no atmosphere. With atmosphere you must account for the terminal velocity as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

The energy of the explosion may be proportional to how large it would need to be to reach the moon, however the radius of the explosion is what matters, that would have to be empirically determined as there is too many variables.

Good luck on your mission to destroy the moon.

thanks a lot for the info

1. How is distance calculated for an explosion to the moon?

The distance for an explosion to the moon is calculated by using the equation d=vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. The velocity is typically the speed of light, and the time can be determined by the time it takes for the explosion to reach the moon.

2. What factors affect the distance and energy of an explosion to the moon?

The main factors that affect the distance and energy of an explosion to the moon are the size and type of the explosive, the location of the explosion, and the atmospheric conditions. The closer the explosion is to the moon, the less distance and energy will be required.

3. How is energy calculated for an explosion to the moon?

The energy for an explosion to the moon is calculated using the formula E=1/2mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the explosive, and v is the velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of the explosive, which are key factors in determining the energy of an explosion.

4. Can the distance and energy of an explosion to the moon be controlled?

Yes, the distance and energy of an explosion to the moon can be controlled by adjusting the size and type of the explosive, as well as the location and timing of the explosion. However, there are many variables and limitations that must be considered when attempting to control an explosion of this magnitude.

5. How does calculating distance and energy for an explosion to the moon contribute to scientific research?

Calculating distance and energy for an explosion to the moon is important for understanding the capabilities and limitations of explosives, as well as studying the effects of these explosions on the moon and other celestial bodies. This research can also provide valuable insights into the formation and composition of the moon and other planets.