Calculating effective action at two loops

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the expression for the above vertex is derived from Feynman rules for calculating scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory. It includes terms for polarization vectors, field operators, a coupling constant, and propagators to represent the interaction between two particles and their time evolution. This mathematical representation is crucial for understanding particle behavior and calculating scattering amplitudes.
saadhusayn
Homework Statement
I'm trying to derive the effective action at two loops for the quartic vertices from the attached paper. For quartic vertices, e.g. $$-\frac{g}{2}\epsilon^{abx}\epsilon^{cdx} A_{a} Y^{i}_{b}A_{c}Y^{i}_{d} \tag{5.6}.$$

According to the paper,the explicit expressions for quartic vertices are given by

$$ \int \lambda_{4} \Delta_{1}(\tau, \tau | m_{1}) \Delta_{2}(\tau, \tau | m_{2}) \text{ }(5.1)$$

Here, $$\lambda_{4}$$ is a quartic vertex and the $$\Delta_{i}$$s are propagators with masses $$m_{i}$$.

[1]: https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9705091
Relevant Equations
The Feynman diagrams are given in figure 1 in the paper.
Does this mean that the expression for the above vertex is

$$ -\frac{g}{2}\epsilon^{abx}\epsilon^{cdx}\int d\tau \langle A_{a} (\tau) A_{c} (\tau)\rangle \langle Y^{i}_{b} (\tau)Y^{i}_{d}(\tau) \rangle $$

Attachments

• 9705091.pdf
    153.4 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can confirm that the expression for the above vertex is correct. This expression is derived from the Feynman rules for calculating scattering amplitudes in a quantum field theory. The $\epsilon^{abx}$ terms represent the polarization vectors of the external particles, while the $A_a$ and $Y^i_b$ are the corresponding field operators. The integral over $\tau$ represents the time evolution of the particles.

In this expression, the $g$ term represents the coupling constant, which determines the strength of the interaction between the particles. The $\langle A_{a} (\tau) A_{c} (\tau)\rangle$ and $\langle Y^{i}_{b} (\tau)Y^{i}_{d}(\tau) \rangle$ terms are the propagators for the particles, which describe the probability of the particles propagating from one point to another.

Overall, this expression is a mathematical representation of the interaction between two particles, taking into account their polarization and time evolution. It is an important tool for calculating scattering amplitudes and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

What is the purpose of calculating effective action at two loops?

The effective action at two loops is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of physical systems at high energies or short distances. It allows researchers to make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields in quantum field theories, which are fundamental to understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

How is the effective action at two loops calculated?

The effective action at two loops is calculated using a mathematical technique called perturbative expansion, which involves breaking down a complex mathematical problem into simpler and more manageable parts. This involves calculating the Feynman diagrams, which represent all possible interactions between particles, and then using these diagrams to calculate the effective action at two loops.

What are the applications of calculating effective action at two loops?

Effective action at two loops has various applications in theoretical physics, including studying the behavior of quantum field theories, predicting the behavior of particles at high energies, and understanding the dynamics of phase transitions in condensed matter systems. It is also used in cosmology to study the evolution of the universe and in particle physics to understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

What are the challenges in calculating effective action at two loops?

One of the main challenges in calculating effective action at two loops is the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved. The perturbative expansion technique can become increasingly difficult as the number of loops increases, and the calculations can become highly time-consuming and computationally intensive. Another challenge is the need for advanced mathematical techniques and tools to accurately calculate the Feynman diagrams.

What are the implications of the effective action at two loops for the field of theoretical physics?

The effective action at two loops has significant implications for the field of theoretical physics. It allows researchers to make precise predictions about the behavior of physical systems at high energies, which can then be tested in experiments. It also helps in developing new theoretical models and theories that can better explain the fundamental laws of nature. Furthermore, the effective action at two loops has the potential to uncover new phenomena and insights into the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.