Calculating EFL of a Three Lens System

In summary, the EFL would be 150 cm if the three lenses were combined with zero distance between them. However, if there is spacing between the lenses, the focal length would be reduced to 96 cm or 141.5 cm depending on the spacing."
nek26
If I have three lenses, each one 50 mm in diameter and with focal lengths of 500mm, -125mm and 150 mm, What would be the EFL if I combined them all together (assuming zero distance between them).

I have been looking online for focal lengths of three lens systems but cannot find anything. Would I just use the 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2 equation twice and basically turn two of the lenses into one focal length then use that focal length again with the third? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Here is the general matrix solution to a three lens system with arbitrary drifts between the lenses. A drift of length d is represented by a 2 x 2 matrix

1 d
0 1

and a thin lens is represented by

1 0
k 1

where k=-1/f.

I show the matrix equations, and a solution for three 25-cm FL lenses separated by two 2-cm drifts. For your case with no spacing between the lenses, the focus is 150 cm beyond the last lens. If the spacing between the lenses is 1 cm, the focal length is reduced to 96 cm. If the spacing is 0.1 cm, the focal length is 141.5 cm.

Bob S

Attachments

• LensSystem1.jpg
    LensSystem1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 812
  • LensSystem2.jpg
    LensSystem2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:

1. What is EFL and why is it important?

EFL stands for "effective focal length" and it is a measurement of the distance between the lens and the image plane where the image appears in focus. It is an important concept in optics because it determines the magnification and clarity of the image produced by a lens system.

2. How is EFL calculated for a three lens system?

To calculate EFL for a three lens system, you must first determine the individual focal lengths of each lens. Then, you can use the formula 1/EFL = 1/f1 + 1/f2 + 1/f3, where f1, f2, and f3 are the focal lengths of the three lenses. Solving for EFL will give you the effective focal length of the entire system.

3. What are the factors that affect EFL in a three lens system?

The factors that affect EFL in a three lens system include the individual focal lengths of each lens, the spacing between the lenses, and the refractive indices of the materials used for the lenses. The curvature and thickness of the lenses can also have an impact on the EFL.

4. Can EFL be negative for a three lens system?

Yes, EFL can be negative for a three lens system. This occurs when the image produced by the lenses is virtual, meaning it appears to be on the opposite side of the lens from the object. In this case, the EFL is measured from the virtual image plane to the lens instead of from the lens to the image plane.

5. How can EFL be used to improve the performance of a three lens system?

EFL can be used to improve the performance of a three lens system by adjusting the spacing between the lenses or by changing the individual focal lengths of the lenses. By manipulating the EFL, you can improve the magnification, clarity, and focus of the image produced by the lens system.