Direction or angle independent image formation in lens

In summary, the person is looking for a way to design a lens or system of lenses that allows them to see the same part of the image, irrespective of the direction or angle of view. The person also mentions that they are interested in seeing only a small fraction of the object plane from all directions, regardless of the angle from which they are viewing.
deval vyas
Is there any way to design a lens or system of lenses where I see the same part of the image, irrespective of direction or angle of view. The light rays can be assumed to be collimated as viewing will be from a distance.

Actually- I am looking at focusing on a point or specific area of the object plane below the lens. In the attached diagram, say there are three letters w, x and y written on focal plane of the lens of arc length L and focal length F and three observers are looking at it from 3 directions, then all of them should be able to see magnified version of X. W AND Z SHOULD REMAIN HIDDEN EVEN WHEN OBSERVED FROM ANY DIRECTION.

Another way, I am interested in seeing say only 33% or say even 50% of the object plane only from all directions, I want the remaining 66 or 50 % to stay hidden...irrespective of the angle from where I am viewing. Going by the example, I have arc length L of say 10mm so I will define my focal plane a circle having area of π*D2/4= 314/4=7.85 sq mm approx. Now I want my lens to focus only on say "the same" 2 to 3 sq mm area in the middle only and make the other peripheral area hidden when viewed from lens from any direction...

We can say I am looking at system which is opposite of Lenticular Lens. In lenticular lens I see different images from different angles. Here I want same "magnified" image from all the 180 degree angle of view.

Science news on Phys.org
I couldn't see any attached diagram, but the camera app on a mobile phone should pretty much give you what you want? Looking at the screen and moving your head around almost the full 180 degree angle of view leaves the same image visible on the display - and that image can be zoomed into represent quite a small fraction of the "object plane" (depending what you mean by that).

1. What is direction or angle independent image formation in lens?

Direction or angle independent image formation in lens refers to the ability of a lens to maintain the same image quality regardless of the direction or angle from which light enters the lens.

2. Why is direction or angle independent image formation important?

Direction or angle independent image formation is important because it allows for more flexibility in capturing images. The lens can be positioned at different angles and still produce high-quality images, making it easier to capture photos from different perspectives.

3. How is direction or angle independent image formation achieved in lenses?

Direction or angle independent image formation is achieved through the use of complex lens designs and advanced optical coatings. These features help to reduce the effects of aberrations and ensure that the image quality remains consistent regardless of the angle or direction of light.

4. Are all lenses direction or angle independent?

No, not all lenses are direction or angle independent. This feature is more commonly found in high-quality lenses, such as those used for professional photography or in scientific applications. Cheaper lenses may not have this capability, which can result in lower image quality when the lens is not positioned at the optimal angle.

5. What are the benefits of direction or angle independent image formation?

The main benefit of direction or angle independent image formation is the ability to capture high-quality images from various angles and directions. This can be particularly useful in situations where the photographer may not have full control over the positioning of the lens, such as in outdoor or action photography. It also allows for more creative freedom in capturing unique perspectives and compositions.