Calculating Einstein Equation from Lagrangian Eqn

In summary: Yeah that's what I did and I'm fairly sure the technique is correct and I just cannot see the mistake that's giving me the wrong number. The Einstein eqn should be -\frac{1}{2} R_{\mu \nu} + \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)=0
latentcorpse
I have a 3d system with Lagrangian [tex]e_3^{-1} L_3 = -\frac{1}{2} R_3 + \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{2H} V(q)[/tex]

From this I want to calculate the Einstein equation by performing the Euler-Lagrange procedure. First of all, I move the 3d dreibein to the RHS and then I apply the E-L eqns. Using that [tex] \frac{\partial e_3}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} = \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu}[/tex], I see that

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} (e_3 R_3) = e_3 R_{\mu \nu} + \frac{1}{2} e_3 R[/tex]

Now, I don't want a Ricci scalar in the answer and I am unsure how to get rid of it. I tried looking at the trace of the Einstein equation [tex] R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = T_{\mu \nu} \Rightarrow R-\frac{3}{2} R = T \Rightarrow -\frac{1}{2} R =T [/tex] and so if I can work out [tex]T[/tex] then I can avoid a Ricci scalar being in the answer but I don't know how to calculate T let alone its trace.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that's what I did and I'm fairly sure the technique is correct and I just cannot see the mistake that's giving me the wrong number. The Einstein eqn should be [tex]-\frac{1}{2} R_{\mu \nu} + \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)=0[/tex]

Now when I vary with respect to [tex]g^{\mu \nu}[/tex] I get [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} = - \frac{1}{2} e_3R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{4} e_3 R_3 + e_3 \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{4H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \partial_\lambda g^{\mu \nu}}=0[/tex].

The E-L eqn is [tex] - \frac{1}{2} e_3R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{4} e_3 R_3 + e_3 \delta_{ab} \partial_\mu q^a \partial_\nu q^b + \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{4H} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)=0[/tex]

Then I take the trace of the resulting E-L eqn to see [tex]-\frac{5}{4} e_3 R_3 + \frac{5}{2} \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{3}{4H} e_3 V(q)=0[/tex] Rearranging we find [tex] -\frac{1}{4} e_3 g_{\mu \nu}R_3 = -\frac{1}{2} e_3 \delta_{ab} g_{\mu \nu} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b -\frac{3}{20H} e_{3} g_{\mu \nu} V(q)[/tex] If I substitute this into the original E-L eqn to try and get rid of the [tex]-\frac{1}{4} e_3 g_{\mu \nu} R[/tex] term, all the unwanted terms cancel but I have the wrong factor in front of the potential term. Any ideas? Thanks.

latentcorpse said:
I have a 3d system with Lagrangian [tex]e_3^{-1} L_3 = -\frac{1}{2} R_3 + \delta_{ab} \partial_\rho q^a \partial^\rho q^b + \frac{1}{2H} V(q)[/tex]

From this I want to calculate the Einstein equation by performing the Euler-Lagrange procedure. First of all, I move the 3d dreibein to the RHS and then I apply the E-L eqns. Using that [tex] \frac{\partial e_3}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} = \frac{1}{2} e_3 g_{\mu \nu}[/tex], I see that

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial g^{\mu \nu}} (e_3 R_3) = e_3 R_{\mu \nu} + \frac{1}{2} e_3 R[/tex]
This can't be right, the indices do not match.

Have you answered your question?

1. What is the Einstein equation and what does it represent?

The Einstein equation, also known as the Einstein field equations, is a set of ten nonlinear partial differential equations in general relativity that describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. It represents the fundamental relationship between the geometry of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it.

2. How is the Einstein equation related to the Lagrangian equation?

The Einstein equation can be derived from the Lagrangian equation in general relativity. The Lagrangian equation describes the dynamics of particles and fields in a given spacetime, while the Einstein equation relates the curvature of that spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it.

3. What are the steps for calculating the Einstein equation from the Lagrangian equation?

The steps for calculating the Einstein equation from the Lagrangian equation are as follows:

1. Write down the Lagrangian density for the system of particles and fields.
  2. Use the Euler-Lagrange equations to obtain the equations of motion for the fields.
  3. Calculate the energy-momentum tensor, which describes the distribution of matter and energy in the system.
  4. Equate the energy-momentum tensor to the Einstein tensor, which represents the curvature of spacetime.
  5. Solve for the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime, using the Einstein equation.

4. What are the applications of calculating the Einstein equation from the Lagrangian equation?

Calculating the Einstein equation from the Lagrangian equation allows us to understand the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those near massive objects like black holes. It also helps us to make predictions about the evolution of the universe and the behavior of cosmological objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Einstein equation derived from the Lagrangian equation?

While the Einstein equation is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, it is limited by the assumptions and simplifications made in its derivation. For example, it does not take into account quantum effects, and it assumes that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales. Additionally, it breaks down in extreme situations, such as the singularity at the center of a black hole.