Calculating Electric Field and Potential of a Charged Ring Segment

In summary, a charge Q is distributed over a ring section of radius r, between angles 90 and 180. The problem at hand is finding the V and E at the origin. However, most sources and formulas for charged rings deal with uniform charge distributions, which is not the case in this problem. The formula for the electric field in this case is \vec{E}=\int\frac{\lambda\hat{r}}{r^2}ds, where \lambda represents the charge distribution and \hat{r} represents a unit vector perpendicular to each segment pointing towards the origin. This formula is obtained by taking the line integral on the interval (\pi/2, \pi). While normally the electric field would be zero
Octavius1287
Hi everyone, i have been looking at this problem for a few days now and i am pretty stuck, ill explain why

first the problem :
a charge Q is distributed over a ring section of radius r, between angles 90 and 180. find the V and E at the origin.

Now the problem I am having ais everything that is kind of similar to this problem or about charged rings is only for uniformly charged rings and i can't find anything about just a segment, and in those cases i think E at the center is 0. Also every where i look I am seeing a different formula for E of a charged ring. I am pretty confused

Physics news on Phys.org
i also don't understand how only one segment and in this case the 2nd quadrant can be charged..

[tex]\vec{E}=\int\frac{\lambda\hat{r}}{r^2}ds[/tex]
Where [itex]\lambda[/itex] merely represents the charge distribution [itex]Q[/itex], and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] represents a unit vector perpendicular to each segment pointing towards the origin. You want to take the line integral on the interval [itex](\pi/2, \pi)[/itex].

Normally, the electric field would be zero in the center of a circle with uniform charge distribution. However, it is not in this instance.

thank you, what source did you get that equation from id like to read more about it

i see 1/4*pi*eo and to the power of 3/2 in a lot of ring equations that's was confusing me is the difference between those and this one

Not entirely sure what level you are at, but this was in both my vector calculus and electrostatics textbook. You may find variations depending on how the charge is distributed (line, surface, etc).

College, and the one in my Electromagnetics book is

E=[itex]\hat{z}[/itex][h/(4[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0(b^2+h^2)^3/2)]*Q where b is the radius and h is the height, but like i said its for a uniform charge

Last edited:
Octavius1287 said:
College, and the one in my Electromagnetics book is

E=[itex]\hat{z}[/itex][h/(4[itex]\pi[/itex]ε0(b^2+h^2)^3/2)]*Q where b is the radius and h is the height, but like i said its for a uniform charge

This is probably what it's referring to.

eler3.gif

I don't know if this will be helpful, but take a look.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elelin.html

Regards

ya all those make sense to me, but i read that page and once again it said it was only for a uniform charge

Octavius1287 said:
... i read that page and once again it said it was only for a uniform charge

Yes.

Octavius1287 said:
...problem :
a charge Q is distributed over a ring section of radius r, between angles 90 and 180.

This doesn't mean it is NON-uniform for the rest of the ring. Aren't they looking for the field from the contribution of charge on just this piece of the ring?

If so,

sandy.bridge said:
...You want to take the line integral on the interval [itex](\pi/2, \pi)[/itex].

Related to Calculating Electric Field and Potential of a Charged Ring Segment

1. What is a charged segment of a ring?

A charged segment of a ring refers to a section of a ring that has an electric charge. This can be either a positive or negative charge, and it is typically measured in units called Coulombs.

2. How is the charge of a segment of a ring determined?

The charge of a segment of a ring is determined by the number of electrons that have either been added or removed from the ring. If electrons are added, the segment will have a negative charge, and if electrons are removed, the segment will have a positive charge.

3. What are the properties of a charged segment of a ring?

A charged segment of a ring will experience both electric and magnetic forces due to its charge. It will also interact with other charged objects in its vicinity, either attracting or repelling them depending on their charges.

4. How is a charged segment of a ring created?

A charged segment of a ring can be created through various methods, such as rubbing two different materials together, applying an electric current, or exposing the ring to a strong magnetic field. These processes can cause the electrons in the ring to redistribute, resulting in a net charge on a specific segment.

5. What are the applications of a charged segment of a ring?

A charged segment of a ring has many applications in various fields, including electronics, physics, and chemistry. It is used in devices such as capacitors, sensors, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions.