Calculating Electric Field from a Bent Rod of Charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
musicfairy
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
semisemicircle.jpg


A rod of uniform linear charge density λ = +1.5 x 10 5 C/m is bent into an arc of radius R = 0.10 m. The arc is placed with its center at the origin of the axes shown above.
a. Determine the total charge on the rod.
b. Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the center O of the arc.

A proton is now placed at point O and held in place. Ignore the effects of gravity in the rest of this problem.
d. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force that must be applied in order to keep the proton at rest.

My work for part a:

ssc1.jpg


Got this part right.

For part b:

ssc2.jpg


Didn't get this one right. I got 46722.8 for the answer while the correct answer is 2.3 × 106

What did I do wrong?

For part d I need the answer from part b. If I had it I would use F = qE.

I don't understand part e at all.

Please help me, especially on part b.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
musicfairy said:
Didn't get this one right. I got 46722.8 for the answer while the correct answer is 2.3 × 106

What did I do wrong?
All I see wrong is a missing factor of R in your final answer. I assume that λ = 1.5 x 10^-5 C/m. If so, the correct answer follows.