Calculating electrical potential energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential energy of three equal point charges placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides of length 0.600m. The equation W = ΔU can be used, along with Coulomb's Law and the equation U_elec = qV. There is some confusion about how to approach the problem, specifically in regards to setting one charge as the reference for 0 electric potential energy.
Gavinofree

Homework Statement

Three equal point charges, each with charge 1.60μC , are placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle whose sides are of length 0.600m . What is the electric potential energy U of the system? (Take as zero the potential energy of the three charges when they are infinitely far apart.)

Homework Equations

W = ΔU, Coulomb's Law, U_elec = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a diagram of the equilateral triangle with the 3 point charges. I then proceeded to adding in the force vectors appropriate to the force exerted upon each of the individual charges. I found through this process that the charge at one of the corners undergoes a vertical downwards motion when vectors are added.

The complication here is that I'm not sure how to go about this. Is it correct to set one charge where the electric potential energy is 0 and since it is 0.600m apart, this equates to the electric potential? I'm confused at the moment and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the potential energy of two equal charges q separated by distance d?

1. How is electrical potential energy calculated?

The electrical potential energy, denoted by U, is calculated by multiplying the electric charge (q) by the electric potential difference (ΔV). The formula for calculating electrical potential energy is U=qΔV.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electrical potential energy?

The unit of measurement for electrical potential energy is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and thermal energy.

3. How does distance affect electrical potential energy?

The electrical potential energy between two objects is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electrical potential energy decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law.

4. Can electrical potential energy be negative?

Yes, electrical potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the electric potential difference (ΔV) is negative, due to the orientation of the electric field. Negative electrical potential energy indicates that work must be done to bring two objects closer together.

5. How is electrical potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are closely related. Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge. In other words, electric potential energy is the total amount of energy between two objects, while electric potential is the amount of energy per unit charge.