Calculating flow rate through turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a turbine used in locks in canals and the goal of calculating the water level and flow rate through the turbine. The use of Bernoulli's equation is mentioned and a formula is provided for iterating the water level and flow rate. The relationship between power output and pressure drop is also discussed. The suggestion is made to use a turbine design that is less sensitive to variation in head supply and to use electronics and battery storage to regulate the final output. The use of tidal barrage power generation is also mentioned as a potential resource for further information.
Slendermann
Hi guys,

First post on this forum. Greetings from the Netherlands :)

I am currently in the process of designing a turbine used in locks in several canals. The turbine is powered when the lock chamber is being emptyed during the lockage.

The goal is to calculate the water level in the lock chamber and the flow rate through the turbine at any given time assuming the turbine has a fixed power level and all of the water flows through it. I've made an attempt at finding a solution, but I would like to know if I'm on the right track.

The water level in the lock chamber decreases as water is flowing out of it. The flow rate and thus the power produced by the turbine decreases as time progresses. However, as the turbine is converting energy into electricity, it in turn is decreasing the flow rate even further. Correct?

From Bernoulli we know:

g*hl = v2/2+g*ht

hl is the water level in the lock chamber or "elevation head", and hk is the head loss produced by the turbine.

We also know:

P = ρ*Q*g*ht
ht=P/(ρ*A*v*g)

(Head loss produced by the turbine equals power divided by the density of water times the surface area of the pipe times the flow speed times acceleration due to gravity)

This gives:

g*hl = v2/2+P/(ρ*A*v)

Which can be written as:

0.5*ρ*A*v3 - ρ*A*hl*g*v + P = 0

This formula can then be used to iterate hl and the flow rate.

Is this formula describing the flow rate A*v and the water level hl correctly for this scenario? Am I missing something?

Thanks guys!

Slendermann

Engineering news on Phys.org
The power [itex]P[/itex] would be:
[tex]P = \eta \Delta p_o Q[/tex]
where:
[itex]\Delta p_o[/itex] is the pressure drop across the turbine ([itex] = \rho g h_l - p_{o\ out}[/itex]);
[itex]Q[/itex] is the flow rate;
[itex]\eta[/itex] is the turbine efficiency, which will depend on the turbine design and - most probably - on [itex]\Delta p_o[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] as well.

The proper use of the Bernoulli equation would be for the exit conditions of the turbine:
[tex]p_{o\ out} = p_{out} + \frac{1}{2}\rho v_{out}^2[/tex]
[tex]p_{o\ out} = p_{out} + \frac{1}{2}\rho \left(\frac{Q}{A_{out}}\right)^2[/tex]
So the water level - flow rate relation is:
[tex]P = \eta \left(\rho g h_l - p_{out} - \frac{1}{2}\rho \left(\frac{Q}{A_{out}}\right)^2\right)Q[/tex]
Or:
[tex]\frac{\rho}{2A_{out}^2}Q^3 - \left(\rho g h_l - p_{out} \right)Q + \frac{P}{\eta} = 0[/tex]
I doubt that you will be able to keep a constant power, though.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply:oldbiggrin:. If let's say the water flow is constant (controlled via a valve), the only variable left to determine the power output is the outgoing pressure. Is this something you can regulate without changing the water flow? If not, and the outgoing pressure is still linked to the power output, I still cannot find the answer to my question.

In other words: Can pout be substituted by known variables in these equations?

Just use a turbine design which is least sensitive to supply head variation and then take what comes from the coupled generator .

Use electronics and short term battery storage to give a regulated final output .

[itex]p_{out}[/itex] will depend on your exit conditions. If you are discharging into atmosphere, then it will be the atmospheric pressure. If you're discharging at the bottom of a second container, it would be [itex]\rho g h_{2}[/itex].

Ok! Thanks guys, you have been a great help!:bow:

You will find some useful information on sites dealing with tidal barrage power generation .

1. How is the flow rate through a turbine calculated?

The flow rate through a turbine can be calculated using the formula Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the turbine in square meters, and V is the velocity of the fluid in meters per second.

2. What factors affect the flow rate through a turbine?

The flow rate through a turbine is affected by factors such as the size and design of the turbine, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid.

3. How does the efficiency of a turbine impact the flow rate?

The efficiency of a turbine can impact the flow rate through it. A higher efficiency turbine will convert more of the fluid's energy into mechanical energy, resulting in a higher flow rate. On the other hand, a lower efficiency turbine will convert less energy and have a lower flow rate.

4. Can the flow rate through a turbine be controlled?

Yes, the flow rate through a turbine can be controlled through various methods such as changing the size of the turbine, adjusting the angle of the blades, or regulating the pressure and temperature of the fluid.

5. How is the flow rate through a turbine measured?

The flow rate through a turbine can be measured using flow meters, which use various techniques such as ultrasonic, electromagnetic, or differential pressure to determine the flow rate. The measured flow rate can then be used to calculate the efficiency and performance of the turbine.