Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating forces vectors etc?

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    Calculating forces ... vectors etc???

Hi all, I need to figure this out but I also need answers.

I'm a tree guy and our fields cross paths in many instances when coming to rigging forces.

In this diagram I have substituted a leaning tree for a steel beam which has a swivel under it so it can fall where-ever it wants.

I need to know what force would be on guy wire A or guy wire B ... dont worry about the other guy wires just make like the thing is perfectly balanced in the other planes.

The idea here is we use side rope techniques to fell leaners like that and it would be good to know what amount of force would be put on those side ropes. So besides getting a flat out answer which would be good I also would like to know how to work this out for future trees.

If this has already been explained somewhere etc I appologise for duplication and welcome your pleasant directions.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

Does that mean only one of the guy wires will actually be attached or both of them?

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    This is a structural analysis, which really can't be taught here. You can get a statics book and study how to conduct such an analysis.

Also, for your logging application there are many variables that will affect the answer, such as wind and ground conditions and the actual tree weight and lean.

For your example, and assuming only using one rope, rope A needs to be 0.88T, and rope B needs to be 1.5T. If you use two ropes, the analysis gets quite complicated.

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

If the the tensions are not the same, then this is a hyperstatic problem of degree 1. You'll need to use other methods relying on the deflection and constitutive relations of the material. Look in any Structural Analysis book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?