Calculating Gravitational Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the acceleration of a ball dropping from a height of 3 meters in 67 milliseconds, with given weight, time, and height. The equation used was d=(0.5)gt^2, where d is distance, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (approximately 9.81 m/s^2). However, it was noted that the measurement of time may have been incorrect and should be repeated for more accurate results.
nobodyuknow
I'm not 100% if I had worded the title correctly, but I was wondering how to calculate the acceleration of a ball dropping at height.

I have it's weight, time and height.
0.45kg
67 milliseconds
3m height

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] d=(.5)gt^2 [/tex]d=distance
t=time
g= acceleration due to gravity
and I'm sure you know that mass doesn't matter

The original equation was about calculating the acceleration. For an object, like a ball, dropped at the Earth's surface, the acceleration is that constant, g, approximately 9.81 m/s2, in cragar's post.

That's what I was thinking. But it dropped from a height of 3m in 67 milliseconds. I did the above equation:

d = (0.5)gt^2
g = 9.8
t = 0.67

Therefore,

0.5 x 9.8 x 0.67 x 0.67 should equate to 3 - or am I mistaken and/or made some errors?

nobodyuknow said:
That's what I was thinking. But it dropped from a height of 3m in 67 milliseconds. I did the above equation:

d = (0.5)gt^2
g = 9.8
t = 0.67

Therefore,

0.5 x 9.8 x 0.67 x 0.67 should equate to 3 - or am I mistaken and/or made some errors?
67ms = 0.067s not 0.67
And how did you measure the time? You should repeat the experiment several times and see how big is the error.

It was recorded on a Digital Camera and I viewed it through Windows Movie Maker. I watched it again several times it's definitely within the 60 - 70 millisecond range.

You mean 670-700 millisecond range.1 millisecond = 1/1000 of a second. There's no way that it fell 3 meters in 67 milliseconds, at least not on earth.

What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is a measure of the acceleration of an object towards the center of a massive body due to the force of gravity. It is commonly denoted by the symbol "g" and has a constant value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using the equation g = G * M / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the massive body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the massive body.

What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by the symbol G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2.

Does gravitational acceleration vary between different planets?

Yes, gravitational acceleration can vary between different planets due to differences in their mass and radius. For example, the gravitational acceleration on Mars is approximately 3.7 meters per second squared, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 meters per second squared.

Can gravitational acceleration change?

Yes, gravitational acceleration can change depending on the location and mass of the objects involved. For example, if an object is moved closer or further away from a massive body, the gravitational acceleration will change. Additionally, the gravitational acceleration can also change if the mass of the massive body changes.