Calculating Gravity on a Person Inside a Building

In summary, a person stands in the middle of a 1 storey building which has an evenly distributed mass. If the person is right in the middle, the net gravitational force is zero. If the person is on the left edge of the building, the net gravitational force is due to the weight of the building and the person is being pulled apart. If the person is a sphere with 70kg of mass and is located halfway between the near and far side of the building, the tidal force is calculated and is 3 times the force on the near side.
Einstein2nd

Homework Statement

I've posted this in the homework section but really, it was asked by a young kid who had just been learning about gravity in high school science. It made my realize that I wasn't able to provide a superb answer.

So, you have a man standing inside a building, what is the gravitational force on him? Of course we are only talking about estimates and ball park figures here. If he were standing right in the middle of the building, and it had an evenly distributed mass, then it would be right to assume that the net gravitational force would be zero since it would all cancel?

What about if the person were right on the left edge of the building? I have so little idea about weights of buildings that I'm struggling to even think of a ball park figure.

Homework Equations

I have a hunch that F = Gm1m2/r2 will come into it...

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I am thinking that "on average, the net gravitational force will be zero because the forces in each direction will all cancel out" but that sounds a bit unsatisfactory?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Einstein2nd! :smile:
Einstein2nd said:
If he were standing right in the middle of the building, and it had an evenly distributed mass, then it would be right to assume that the net gravitational force would be zero since it would all cancel?

Yes. :smile:
What about if the person were right on the left edge of the building? I have so little idea about weights of buildings that I'm struggling to even think of a ball park figure.

A building weighs about the same as a ball park. :wink:
I have a hunch that F = Gm1m2/r2 will come into it...
You may as well assume that the whole mass of the huilding is concentrated at its centre.

If the distance to the centre of the building, and to the centre of the Earth, are r and R,

and if the mass of the building, and of the Earth, are m and M,

then the extra gravitational acceleration from the building wil be g times m/M times R2/r2 :smile:

Yeah that seems like sound logic. For my own curiosity, what about tidal forces? If you were standing in the middle of the building there could still be tidal forces?

To make things simpler, assume it is a 1 storey building. Then perhaps divide the mass into 4 and assume that the forces are equal in all directions (as said before, so the net force on the person is zero).

Take a person to be a 70kg, 1.7 metre sphere :p Consider the force in say the north direction, due to 1/4 of the building's mass, to be concentrated half way between the person (in the middle) and the edge of the building. I guess you could then calculate the difference in force on the near and far side of the sphere and that's the tidal force. This would be repeated 3 times and you would see that the person is actually being pulled apart! Maybe take into account only 60% of the human's body being water?

Related to Calculating Gravity on a Person Inside a Building

1. How is gravity calculated on a person inside a building?

Gravity is calculated using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the person, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The value of g on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s².

2. Does gravity change inside a building compared to outside?

No, the force of gravity inside a building is the same as outside. However, the objects inside the building may experience different forces due to other factors such as air resistance or the structural integrity of the building.

3. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled inside a building?

No, gravity cannot be manipulated or controlled inside a building. It is a natural force that is constant and cannot be changed.

4. How does the height of a building affect the force of gravity on a person inside?

The height of a building does not affect the force of gravity on a person inside. However, the person may experience a change in gravitational potential energy as they move to different heights within the building.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force of gravity on a person inside a building?

The force of gravity on a person inside a building can be affected by factors such as the mass and density of the building, the shape and orientation of the building, and any external forces acting on the building (e.g. earthquakes, wind). However, these factors have a minimal effect on the force of gravity compared to the mass and distance from the center of the Earth.