Calculating how to make a homemade capacitor

In summary: I legit just figured this out and then looked in my email and found this. Lol yes that sounds right thank you!You will still need to treat the edges in some way so that they are smooth with no sharp edges to the metal. It would be a good idea to undercut the metal foil so there is a bare border of exposed plastic all the way round. The periphery is where you can expect arcing if you don't do this.
reese houseknecht
Ok, so I am am trying to make a homemade capacitor that is 4700pf and 15kv. polyester at 125 micrometers thick can withstand 15kv so were good. here is the equation i used
C=ε0 K A / D
Where C = capacitance, ε0 is epsilons constant, K = dielectric constant, A = area of aluminum foil, and D is the space between the 2 conductors (the thickness of my dielectric)
so here is my values
4.7x10-9F = 8.85x10-12 * 4.7 * A / 0.000127M
Farads Epsilon Dielectric Area Meters
i got 0.0142 for A after solving. this is about 3" of area? i don't get it, that is way to small! BTW these capacitors arent being rolled up, they are low inductance so its just flat

Physics news on Phys.org
Area has units of metres squared.
What is the "M" in that formula? It's not normal to put symbols for the units inside a formula or in the arithmetic. It's assumed (essential) that the formula is dimensionally correct. Also where did the 0.000127 come from?
The answer you get is in m2, which comes to something like 0.12m by 0.12m
Unless you can compress the plates together without puncturing the plastic, the average spacing will probably be significantly greater than the 125μm so your C may be less than you planned. No problem as long as you take it into account and find the right size by trial and error. That's one reason why they make many capacitors rolled up.

sophiecentaur said:
Area has units of metres squared.
What is the "M" in that formula? It's not normal to put symbols for the units inside a formula or in the arithmetic. It's assumed (essential) that the formula is dimensionally correct. Also where did the 0.000127 come from?
Unless you can compress the plates together without puncturing the plastic, the average spacing will probably be significantly greater than the 125μm so your C may be less than you planned. No problem as long as you take it into account and find the right size by trial and error. That's one reason why they make many capacitors rolled up.
M is meters, my science teacher said it had to be in meters, it is normally 0.005" thick.

reese houseknecht said:
M is meters, my science teacher said it had to be in meters, it is normally 0.005" thick.
So just the number is needed. If you want units for everything then you would not be able to read the equation. AND somehow the value changed from one place to another in your post? The symbol for metres is m. "M" usually stands for Mega.
Any comments about the area to side length conversion?

(15000/0.000127) is more than 118 MV/m voltage gradient.

Is your dialectric breakdown strong enough to withstand that? Some dialectrics can do up to 0.5GV/m, but many can't.

anorlunda said:

Is your dialectric breakdown strong enough to withstand that? Some dialectrics can do up to 0.5GV/m, but many can't.
yes, my dielectric is able to withstand 15kv

reese houseknecht said:
You have to remember that the local field around an edge or other discontinuity in the plate surfaces can be high than the Infinite Sheet assumption. If you are 'pushing things' a bit then you need to be free of dust and the edges of your plates need to be rounded off (finely sanded). 50% headroom is a good value to work with - two layers of dielectric and twice the area may be worth considering. Be prepared for modifications after your first try.

its going to be very hard to sand down aluminum foil lol. its a piece of polyester with aluminum foil on top, and maybe several layers. all i want to know is why i calculated such a low area, please help me.

Didn't you get your answer in post #2?
sophiecentaur said:

12 cm x 12 cm . Doesn't that sound right to you?

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
Didn't you get your answer in post #2?12 cm x 12 cm . Doesn't that sound right to you?
I legit just figured this out and then looked in my email and found this. Lol yes that sounds right thank you!

Likes sophiecentaur
reese houseknecht said:
its a piece of polyester with aluminum foil on top,
You will still need to treat the edges in some way so that they are smooth with no sharp edges to the metal. It would be a good idea to undercut the metal foil so there is a bare border of exposed plastic all the way round. The periphery is where you can expect arcing if you don't do this.
I am pointing these things out because it is better to be aware of possible practical pitfalls before you actually build the capacitor.

This is the capacitor i am basically making but eith my dimensions. I am going to riund the edges of the protruding aluminum but i think i should be fine. So with that equation do i only need aluminum 12 x 12 them dielectric then another piece of aluminum 12x12?

anorlunda said:

reese houseknecht said:
That's not what he asked...
reese houseknecht said:
its a piece of polyester with aluminum foil on top
What have you read about the breakdown strength of Mylar (polyester film)? It does not look like it will work for the high voltage you want to use:

http://usa.dupontteijinfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Mylar_Electrical_Properties.pdf

Note that the Wikipedia article on film capacitors has some useful information about construction and breakdown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_capacitor

Finally, what is your source of 15kV? So far I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling for your background and experience with high voltages...

1. How do I determine the capacitance of a homemade capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge stored on one of its plates by the potential difference between the plates. This can be expressed as C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the potential difference in volts.

2. What materials can be used to make a homemade capacitor?

There are various materials that can be used to make a homemade capacitor, including aluminum foil, paper, plastic sheets, and a dielectric material such as wax or oil. The specific materials used will depend on the type of capacitor you want to make.

3. How do I determine the size and shape of the plates for my homemade capacitor?

The size and shape of the plates will affect the capacitance of the homemade capacitor. Generally, larger plates will result in a higher capacitance. The distance between the plates also plays a role, with a smaller distance resulting in a higher capacitance. It is recommended to use symmetrical and evenly spaced plates for optimal performance.

4. Can I adjust the capacitance of a homemade capacitor?

Yes, the capacitance of a homemade capacitor can be adjusted by changing the size and distance between the plates, as well as the type of dielectric material used. The closer the plates are and the higher the dielectric constant of the material, the higher the capacitance will be.

5. How can I test the capacitance of my homemade capacitor?

To test the capacitance of your homemade capacitor, you can use a multimeter or a capacitance meter. These devices will measure the capacitance in farads and can help you determine if your capacitor is functioning properly.