Calculating impulse of a collision

In summary, the conversation discusses applying the equation from Wikipedia to find the impulse of a collision. It also explains how to calculate the surface normal n, which is a unit vector, depending on the implementation of the objects. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the signs in the equations and how to apply them correctly. Additionally, there is a discussion on calculating the speed of a car and using initial values to determine the impulse and final velocities. There is also a mention of an error in the application of the equation and the need to take the absolute value in a specific step.
alterecho
I'm trying to apply the equation from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_response) to find the impulse of a collision. How do i find/calculate the surface normal n, which is a unit vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the implementation of your objects. Find the point of collision, and the part of the object which describes this, calculate the vector normal to the surface.

How do i calculate the vector normal?

How do you know how your objects looks like?
Two vectors are orthogonal if their scalar product is 0.

Your question is similar to "how do I calculate the speed of a car". You have to say what you know about the car (for example: "traveled x km in y minutes").

Here's an example of the situation I'm working with.

The distance vector for point of intersection would be (0, -20) in this case for the ball.
I assume the ball as the 1st object and the ground as the second object. I'm also considering the mass of the ground to be infinite and mass of the ball to be 1 and its moment of inertia as 400.

Attachments

• exmp.png
    exmp.png
    1 KB · Views: 468
The ground has a horizontal surface in the x-direction and you have a two-dimensional problem? In this case, the orthogonal vector goes in the y-direction. It is simply (0,1).

I did use that. Suppose i have,
[itex]V_{i}[/itex] = (20, -10),
[itex]Vp_{i}[/itex] = (20, -10),
[itex]ω_{i}[/itex] = 0,
n = (0, 1),
[itex]M_{a}[/itex] = 1,
[itex]I_{a}[/itex] = 400,
[itex]r_{a}[/itex] = (0, -20),
I get the [itex]V_{f}[/itex] as (20, -30).

This is the procedure i follow,
-Calculate the impulse j,
-Apply the formula [itex]V_{f}[/itex] = [itex]V_{i}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{j}{M}[/itex] * n (as given in Wikipedia).

The result is obviously wrong since with this final velocity, the ball will fall through the floor.
Am i missing some step?

Last edited:
I think you have a sign error for j. Using your sign convention, it should be negative.

You mean [itex]V_{f}[/itex] = [itex]V_{i}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{-j}{M}[/itex] * n ?
But we are taking into consideration the normal of the impulse so how is that?

In the wikipedia diagram, the normal vector points away from object 1. This leads to the minus sign in the web page equation. You should have Vf = Vi + (positive factor)n.

You're right. But when i apply the initial values as:
e = 1
[itex]V_{i}[/itex] = (10, -20)
[itex]W_{i}[/itex] = 0
r = (0, -20)
[itex]V_{p}[/itex] = (10, -20)
n = (-1, 1)
m = 1
I = 200

For Collision with a Wall/ground, I'm using equation from this site (modified version of the Wikipedia equation): http://www.myphysicslab.com/collision.html

j = [itex]\frac{−(1 + e) V_{p1} · n}{\frac{1}{m} + \frac{(r × n)^{2}}{I}}[/itex]

I get
j = 59.4,
[itex]V_{f}[/itex] = (-49.4, 39.4)
[itex]W_{f}[/itex] = -5.9

This obviously seems wrong. What should i do?

alterecho said:
You're right. But when i apply the initial values as:
e = 1
[itex]V_{i}[/itex] = (10, -20)
[itex]W_{i}[/itex] = 0
r = (0, -20)
[itex]V_{p}[/itex] = (10, -20)
n = (-1, 1)
m = 1
I = 200

For Collision with a Wall/ground, I'm using equation from this site (modified version of the Wikipedia equation): http://www.myphysicslab.com/collision.html

j = [itex]\frac{−(1 + e) V_{p1} · n}{\frac{1}{m} + \frac{(r × n)^{2}}{I}}[/itex]

I get j = 59.4,
|r x n| = 20, agreed? This gives me j = (2*30)/(1/1+400/200) = 20.

Sorry for the late reply. I just identified an error in my application of the equation. I was taking the square AFTER dividing (r x n) by I in the denominator.

I'll have to see how this turns out in my application. Will do some tests.

You say |r x n| = 20. Do we need to take the absolute of the result of the cross product?

Related to Calculating impulse of a collision

1. How is impulse of a collision calculated?

The impulse of a collision is calculated by multiplying the force of the collision by the time interval in which the force acts. This can be represented by the equation J = F x Δt, where J is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

2. What is the unit of measurement for impulse?

The unit of measurement for impulse is the Newton-second (N·s) in the SI system of units. This can also be expressed as kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s) in the MKS system, or pound-second (lb·s) in the FPS system.

3. How is the direction of impulse determined?

The direction of impulse is determined by the direction of the force acting on the object. The impulse vector points in the same direction as the force vector.

4. Can impulse be negative?

Yes, impulse can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force and the direction of the object's motion are opposite. In this case, the impulse vector will point in the opposite direction of the force vector.

5. What information is needed to calculate impulse in a collision?

To calculate impulse in a collision, you will need to know the force of the collision and the time interval in which the force acts. This information can be obtained from measurements or calculations based on the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision.