1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Calculating Induced Electric field

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    In class we were trying to calculate the induced electric field created by changing the magnetic field stregth.
    Imagine theres a circular surface which magnetic field out of the screen.Since we are changing the magnetic field from Faraday's Law there should be a induced current or charge flow simply.To create this motion we need electric field.So he drew another circle inside the outer surface with radius r Here is the pic
    Adsız.png
    Then he said lets suppose theres a charge on the point P.And he explained the Electric Field and direction etc.And He said lets suppose It rotates once the circle

Now then He did something like this;

##W=qε=\int {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}##
    ##W=qε=Eq2πr##
    ##ε=E2πr## Then he used Faraday's Law and we found the E field.
    I am stucked cause
    ##W=qε=\int {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}## should be zero.Cause it comes to same point.
    ##W=\int_p^p {\vec{F}⋅d\vec{r}}=0##
    He never used ##\oint##
    What am I missing ?
    If were used closed integral like ##\oint_p^p q\vec {E}⋅d\vec{r}=Eq2πr## ?

I think He should use closed integral.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The induced electric field from a changing magnetic field is not a conservative field. Electrostatic fields (conservative fields) satisfy ## \nabla \times E=0 ## so that ## \oint E \cdot ds=0 ## by Stokes law. This is not the case for the induced ## E ## field because ## \nabla \times E=-\frac{dB}{dt} ## so that by Stokes law ## \oint E \cdot ds=-\frac{d \Phi_m}{dt} ##. And yes, your instructor should use ## \oint ## for this integral.

4. May 2, 2017 #3
    I understand , thanks a lot :)

5. May 5, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, of course in Stokes's theorem the line integral is around a closed path. Otherwise it's wrong. Why one should need an extra symbol, I however don't know ;-).

6. May 5, 2017 #5
    Its more nice,I like it :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted