Calculating Infinite Sine Sum with Ratio Test | x and t Real Numbers

In summary, the problem is to calculate ##\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty t^{k}sin{(kx)}##, where x and t are real and t is between 0 and 1. The ratio test shows that the sum has a limit and converges, but the solution for the sines may not be obvious. One method is to rewrite sin(x) as ##Im(e^{ix})## and simplify the expression to ##\frac{1}{2i}(\frac{1}{1-te^{ix}}-\frac{1}{1-te^{-ix}})##, which gives the same answer as the other method of using ##\sin{(x)}=\frac{e^{
Quacknetar

Homework Statement

I have this exercise: Calculate
##\sum\limits_{k=0}^\infty t^{k}sin{(kx)}##
Where x and t are real and t is between 0 and 1.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

The ratio test says that this sum does have a limit, and tk obviously converges, as t is between 0 and 1. However, how am I supposed to solve it for the sines? A summatory inside a summatory? I don't think so, this is an exam question and we haven't done anything similar. I've been stuck with this for a day now...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about trying to rewrite the sine in some intelligent fashion?

Damn, how did I not think of that?
So the answer is
##\frac{2i}{2i-te^{ix}}-\frac{2i}{2i-te^{-ix}}##?

I get:

##\frac{tsin(x)}{1-2t cos(x)+t^2}##

Your answer may be the same.

What was your method?

Last edited:
##\frac{tsin(x)}{1-2tcos(x)+t^2}##

Last edited:
Quacknetar said:
Damn, how did I not think of that?
So the answer is
##\frac{2i}{2i-te^{ix}}-\frac{2i}{2i-te^{-ix}}##?

That isn't what I get. Show your work, and, since the answer must be real, put it in real form.

[Edit, added]I didn't see Stephen's post; I agree with his answer.

Crap! I'm being stupid today! my previous expression should have been
##\frac{1}{2i}(\frac{1}{1-te^{ix}}-\frac{1}{1-te^{-ix}})##
Which, if simplified, gives the same answer you got. Thanks, guys!

It seems like your method is unnecessarily complicated. Did you write sin as:

##\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##

or as

##Im(e^{ix})##?

I used
##\sin{(x)}=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##

How do you do it with

##Im(e^{ix})##?

Quacknetar said:
I used
##\sin{(x)}=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##

How do you do it with

##Im(e^{ix})##?

In exactly the same way, you just move the I am outside of the sum since ##t## is real. The difference is that you get only one term.

It's considered easier to use

##Im(e^{ix})##

Try using that method and see which you prefer.

Okay, I've just tried it and it's definitely easier and there's less things that you can do wrong. I wouldn't have thought of that myself, as ##Im(z)## doesn't feel like a "proper" function to me, but I see it can be useful if you know what you're doing. Thanks for the help, guys!

What is the ratio test for infinite sine sums?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is less than 1, then the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, then the series is divergent.

How do you use the ratio test to calculate the convergence of an infinite sine sum?

To use the ratio test for an infinite sine sum, you would first take the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms, which will be in the form of sin(n+1)x/sin(nx). Then, take the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If it is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is exactly 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used to determine convergence.

Can the ratio test be used for any infinite series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series where the terms involve exponentials, factorials, or powers of n. It cannot be used for series with arbitrary terms.

What are the limitations of using the ratio test for infinite sine sums?

The ratio test can only determine the convergence or divergence of a series, it cannot give an exact value for a convergent series. Additionally, the ratio test may not work for series with alternating signs or when the limit is exactly 1, in which case another method must be used.

What is the relationship between the ratio test and the root test?

The ratio test and the root test are both used to determine the convergence of infinite series. The ratio test is generally easier to use and works for more series, but the root test can give more precise results in some cases. Additionally, the root test can be used for series with alternating signs, while the ratio test cannot.