Calculating K Value for Fischer Esterification Homework

• Thread starter epyfathom
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the relationship between equilibrium constant value and the best yield for a 1:1 ratio of reagents in a lab proposal. It is mentioned that the equilibrium constant value of 2 results in a yield of about 59% of theoretical. The equation for calculating the equilibrium constant is provided, but it is unclear how the value was determined. Additionally, it is suggested that the theoretical yield should take the equilibrium constant value into account.
epyfathom

Homework Statement

Hi.

In I'm doing a proposal for a lab and in it, it says that with an equilibrium constant value of 2 (K=2), the best yield would be about 59% of theoretical for a 1:1 ratio of reagents. I'm guessing it has to do with this equation, but I'm still sure how they calculated this value.

K = [ester][H2O] / [acid][alcohol]

Please show me how they got this value..

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is an experimental value, it doesn't fit results of obvious approaches. Besides, I would say theoretical yield should take K (if known) into account.

--
methods

Hello,

Calculating the equilibrium constant (K) for Fischer esterification involves using the concentrations of the reactants and products in the equilibrium equation: K = [ester][H2O] / [acid][alcohol]. The equilibrium constant represents the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium, and is a measure of how far the reaction proceeds in the forward direction.

To calculate K, you can use the initial concentrations of the reactants and products, as well as the change in concentration that occurs at equilibrium. This can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations.

In this case, the value of K=2 means that at equilibrium, the concentration of products (ester and water) is twice the concentration of reactants (acid and alcohol). This can also be interpreted as the reaction proceeding in the forward direction to a greater extent than the reverse direction.

The 59% yield mentioned in the homework statement refers to the percentage of the theoretical yield that is actually obtained in the reaction. It is calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100%. In this case, the theoretical yield would be the maximum amount of ester that could be produced if the reaction proceeded to completion.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation of K value and the relationship to yield in Fischer esterification. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your lab proposal!

Related to Calculating K Value for Fischer Esterification Homework

What is the purpose of calculating K value for Fischer Esterification homework?

The K value for Fischer Esterification is used to determine the equilibrium constant for the reaction, which is a measure of the relative amounts of reactants and products at equilibrium. This information is important in understanding the efficiency of the reaction and predicting the yield of the desired product.

What is the formula for calculating K value for Fischer Esterification?

The formula for calculating K value for Fischer Esterification is K = [Products]/[Reactants], where the concentrations of the products and reactants are expressed in molarity (M). This formula is based on the equilibrium expression for the reaction.

How do I determine the concentrations of products and reactants for calculating K value?

The concentrations of products and reactants can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of each substance present in the reaction mixture. This can be done using techniques such as titration, spectrophotometry, or gas chromatography. Alternatively, the concentrations can be calculated using the initial amounts of reactants and the known stoichiometry of the reaction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of K value calculations for Fischer Esterification?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of K value calculations for Fischer Esterification, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts or impurities. Additionally, errors in measuring the concentrations of reactants and products can also lead to inaccuracies in the calculated K value.

How can I use the K value to predict the yield of a Fischer Esterification reaction?

The K value can be used to predict the yield of a Fischer Esterification reaction by using the reaction quotient, Q, which is calculated using the same formula as K. If the value of Q is less than K, the reaction is not at equilibrium and will proceed in the forward direction to reach equilibrium. If the value of Q is greater than K, the reaction is already at equilibrium and the yield of the desired product can be estimated based on the value of K.