Calculating Limit of Integrals Involving Cos and Exponential Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the limit x->0 of ((integral of cos t² dt between 0 and x²) / (integral of e^(-t²) dt)) using L'Hopital's rule. The speaker also asks for a proof of the chain rule and a sketch is provided. The final output is the formula for the chain rule: \frac{d}{dx}(f(g(x))) = f'(g(x)) g'(x).
Metal
Ok, i have this problem:

Calculate: Limit x->0 of ((integral of cos t² dt between 0 and x²) / (integral of e^(-t²) dt))

So, the limit of both integrals is 0 since the interval between both integrals tends to 0. I used L'Hopital then, so:

Limit x->0 F'(x)/G'(x) = (cos (x^4) * 2x)/(e^(-x²)), F(x) and G(x) being both integrals.

I know that this is right, i just don't remember why F'(x) = cos (x^4) * 2x and not F'(x) = cos (x^4)... I know it have something to do with the fact that 2x is the derivative of x² but there's something missing in this explanation.

Tks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define

[tex]A(x) = \int _0 ^x \cos t^2\, dt[/tex]

[tex]B(x) = x^2[/tex]

then

F = A o B, so F'(x) = B'(x)A'(B(x)) by chain rule, giving:

F'(x) = 2xA'(x2) = 2xcos(x4) by FTC

Tks for that... but what i really wanted to know is why F'(x) = B'(x)A'(B(x))... IOW a proof of the chain rule. I guess was naturally inclined to think that F'(x) would equal A'(B(x)).

Here's a sketch of a proof of the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(f(g(x)))= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x+h))-f(g(x))}{h} [/tex]

Now define:

[tex]k=g(x+h)-g(x) [/tex]

Then as h goes to zero, k goes to zero, and:

[tex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{k}{h} = g'(x)[/tex]

Then we have:

[tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x+h))-f(g(x))}{h} =\lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{h}[/tex]

And as k gets very small, h can be replaced by k/g'(x), and:

[tex] \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{h}= \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{k/g'(x)} = \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{k}g'(x) =f'(g(x)) g'(x) [/tex]

There are some details to fill in if you want to be rigorous.

Great, Tks...

Related to Calculating Limit of Integrals Involving Cos and Exponential Functions

1. How do you calculate the limit of integrals involving cos and exponential functions?

In order to calculate the limit of integrals involving cos and exponential functions, you will need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus. First, integrate the function to get the anti-derivative. Then, take the limit of the anti-derivative as the limits of integration approach the given values. Finally, subtract the two limits to get the value of the integral.

2. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the integral of a function is equal to the anti-derivative of that function evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. In other words, it provides a method for calculating definite integrals by using anti-derivatives.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating a limit of an integral involving cos and exponential functions?

Sure, let's say we want to calculate the limit of the integral of cos(x) * e^x from 0 to 2. First, we integrate the function to get the anti-derivative, which is sin(x) * e^x. Then, we take the limit of this anti-derivative as x approaches 2 and subtract the limit as x approaches 0. This gives us sin(2) * e^2 - sin(0) * e^0. Simplifying, we get approximately 6.67 as the value of the integral.

4. Are there any special techniques for calculating limits of integrals involving cos and exponential functions?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can be helpful in calculating these limits. One is the substitution method, where you substitute a new variable for one of the functions in the integral. Another is the integration by parts method, where you split the integral into two parts and use the product rule to integrate one part while differentiating the other. Practicing these techniques can make it easier to solve more complex integrals.

5. How can calculating limits of integrals involving cos and exponential functions be used in real-world applications?

Calculating limits of integrals involving cos and exponential functions is a valuable skill in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving continuous systems, such as calculating the area under a curve or finding the average value of a function. It also has applications in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.