Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnetic field of finite solenoid

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Hey guys! New guy here so bear with me on my first post:)

I'm trying to calculate the B field in the center of a finite solenoid for different outer radius sizes. I was able to find a formula online that gave the B field in the center of a solenoid given its length, inner radius, outer radius, number of loops, and current.

(sorry guys but I cant include links until I reach 10 posts - add "www" to each link)
    Formula: .netdenizen.com/emagnet/solenoids/solenoidonaxis.htm

Using matlab, I plotted a graph of the B field with the outer radius as the input variable and all other variables constant. Here's the graph I created:

L = 0.0254m
    Inner Radius = 0.008m
    I = 100A
    N = 100
    Outer Radius varies from 0.008m to 1 m

IMAGE: .image-share.com/ijpg-1492-27.htm

Shouldn't the B field increase with increasing outer radius due to there being more turns per unit length?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hey bsully! welcome to pf! :smile:
    no, the turns per length (the pitch) is N/L, which is constant :smile:

(btw, i couldn't see anything at http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-1492-27.htm [Broken] :redface:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 20, 2012 #3
    Well now I'm embarrassed... I blame it on my lack of sleep:)

So based on what I have so far, I've found the B field for a solenoid with increasing outer radius but with a constant number of turns - i.e. the wire diameter is increased to maintain dimension.

I guess what I was trying to do was to keep the wire diameter constant - thus number of turns won't be constant. For example, find the B field inside a solenoid as I add layers of the same diameter wire(solenoid length, inner radius, and current kept constant). I figured this would be a way to decide at what point adding another layer of wiring to a solenoid would be useless as it wouldn't contribute much to the central B field.

5. May 20, 2012 #4
    finally figured it out.. replace N(number of turns) in the formula with N = (L/Dia)*((RO-RI)/Dia) where L = length of solenoid, RO = outer radius, RI = inner radius, and Dia = the diameter of the wire you are using.

Plugging into the formula:
    L = 0.0254m (1 inch)
    RI = 0.005m (5mm)
    Dia = 0.001m (1mm)
    I = 30Amps

0.005m < RO < 0.05m

i49.tinypic.com/1fxyzc.jpg (add 'http://' [Broken] at the beginning - hope this works)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook