Calculating Magnetic Field & Torque for a Circular Wire Loop

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnetic field at the center of a circular wire loop carrying a current of 16 A, in addition to the torque acting on a smaller coil concentric with the loop. Using the Biot-Savart Law, the magnetic field at the center of the loop is calculated to be 5.29*10^-5 T. For the torque on the coil, the formula U x B is used, where U is the magnetic dipole moment of the coil and B is the magnetic field due to the loop. The resulting torque is 5.57*10^-7 N*m.
lcam2

Homework Statement

A circular wire loop of radius 19 cm carries a current of 16 A. A smaller flat coil of radius 0.76 cm, having 50 turns and a current of 1.2 A is concentric with the loop. The coil and loop are perpendicular.

a) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field that the loop alone produces at its center?

b) What is the magnitude of the torque that acts on the coil? (Assume the magnetic field due to the loop is essentially uniform throughout the volume occupied by the coil.)

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law
B= ([tex]\mu[/tex]*I)/(2*Pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used biot-savart law, using I=16A, r=.19m, and [tex]\mu[/tex] =4pi *10^(-7)

I got 1.68e-5 but it is not the correct answer. I have no clue how to approach this problem,
Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
A)
B=(4*10^-7)*(16)*Pi/(2(.19))

B=5.29*10^-5

B)
Torque = U x B
U= NIA
Torque = NIAB sin(90)
Torque = (50)(1.2)(pi)(.0076)^2(5.29E-5)= 5.57E-7

Your formula for the magnetic field at the center of a loop seems off. Consider the formula for a differential magnetic field from a differential length ds:

[tex] dB = \frac{ \mu_0}{4\pi }[/tex] [tex] \frac{ids\times \widehat{r}} {r^{2}}[/tex]

Where [tex]\mu_0[/tex] is the magnetic constant. Remember that [tex] ids\times \widehat{r}} = ids|\widehat{r}| [/tex] because the circle's radius will always be perpendicular to it's length element.

Using that, you should get the right formula for the current at the center of a loop, which should give you the answer you need!

Thanks a lot, i was missing a Pi.

!

Great job using the Biot-Savart law! However, there are a few things to consider in order to arrive at the correct answer. First, it is important to note that the circular wire loop and the smaller flat coil are perpendicular to each other. This means that the magnetic field produced by the circular wire loop at the center will not contribute to the torque on the smaller coil. Therefore, you need to calculate the magnetic field produced by the smaller coil at its own center.

To do this, you can use the same Biot-Savart law equation, but with the new values for the smaller coil: I=1.2A, r=0.76cm, and \mu =4pi *10^(-7). This should give you a magnetic field of 1.27e-5 T at the center of the smaller coil.

Next, to calculate the torque on the smaller coil, you need to use the equation:

\tau = NIAcos(\theta)

Where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, A is the area of the coil, and \theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the coil. In this case, N=50, I=1.2A, and A=\pi*r^2. Since the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, \theta = 90 degrees. Plugging in all the values, you should get a torque of 2.28e-5 Nm.

I hope this helps you arrive at the correct answers. Keep up the good work in your studies of magnetic fields and torque!

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field & Torque for a Circular Wire Loop

1. What is the equation for calculating magnetic field for a circular wire loop?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field for a circular wire loop is B = μ₀I/2r, where B is the magnetic field strength in tesla (T), μ₀ is the permeability of free space (4πx10⁻⁷ Tm/A), I is the current in the loop in amperes (A), and r is the radius of the loop in meters (m).

2. How do I calculate the torque on a circular wire loop in a magnetic field?

To calculate the torque on a circular wire loop in a magnetic field, use the equation τ = NIABsinθ, where τ is the torque in newton-meters (Nm), N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current in the loop in amperes (A), A is the area of the loop in square meters (m²), B is the magnetic field strength in tesla (T), and θ is the angle between the loop's plane and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can I use this equation to calculate magnetic field and torque for any shape of wire loop?

The equations for calculating magnetic field and torque for a circular wire loop are specific to a circular loop, but similar equations can be used for other shapes of wire loops. The key factors to consider are the current, area, and angle of the loop in relation to the magnetic field.

4. How does changing the current or radius of the wire loop affect the magnetic field and torque?

Increasing the current in the wire loop will increase the magnetic field strength and torque, as the strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current. Similarly, increasing the radius of the loop will also increase the magnetic field strength and torque, as the area of the loop is directly proportional to these values.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating magnetic field and torque for a circular wire loop?

These equations are commonly used in the design and analysis of electric motors, generators, and various types of sensors. They can also be applied to determine the force and torque on a magnetic compass needle or to calculate the strength of Earth's magnetic field at a specific location.