1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Mass and Center of Mass

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let D be the upper half of the disc x2+y2 ≤1(that is, the part of the disc with y ≥ 0). Suppose the lamina Ω fills the region D, and has density given by ρ(x, y) = |x|.

(a) Calculate the mass of the lamina.
    (b) Find the coordinates of the center of mass of the lamina.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, first, I'm going to rewrite this |x| as y=-x when for when x≤0 and y=x for when x≥0. Therefore, the quarter-circle given by the boundary in the first quadrant allows 0≤x≤1 and 0≤y≤1.

I integrate ∫(0≤x≤1)∫(0≤y≤1) x dydx and get 1/2. Observing that everything is symmetrical, I simply multiply by 2 to find the total mass, which I find to be 1.

Again, by symmetry, I reason that the center of mass must lie on the y-axis, so I will let the x-coordinate of the center of mass equal 0. To find the y-coordinate, I integrate

∫(0≤x≤1)∫(0≤y≤1) xy dydx + ∫(-1≤x≤0)∫(0≤y≤1) -xy dxdy (???)

and get 1/2. Therefore, the center of mass exists at (0,1/2).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    It looks like you're integrating over a rectangular region in your solution, but the region given is the upper half of a disk. Also, polar coordinates seem like they would be more friendly here.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    I was thinking polar would be easier, too. But I didn't know how to convert y = |x| into polar coordinates. But, yes, clearly my bounds are not correct.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    well your bounds should be pretty easy, theta goes from 0 to pi and r goes from 0 to 1. Your question of rho = |x| comes down to knowing x = r cos(theta) and |r cos(theta)| = r |cos(theta)|, which is just a question of knowing where cos(theta) is positive and where it is negative.

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    Okay. So, first, why have you replaced y with rho in y = |x|? Does rho = rsin(theta)?

But anyway, let's see if I can integrate this properly. I think I should have the sum of two integrals so that I can deal with the bounds independently. So, cos(theta) is non-negative in 0≤theta≤pi/2. I think one of my integrals should then be

∫(0≤theta≤pi/2)∫(0≤r≤1) r^2 * cos(theta) dr dtheta.

This gives me 1/3. My other integral is

∫(pi/2≤theta≤pi)∫(0≤r≤1) r^2 * -1 * cos(theta) dr dtheta.

This, unexpectedly, also gives 1/3. Therefore mass is 2/3 (?)

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    i did this because in the problem statement you said rho = |x|. But yes, this looks to be correct.

8. Nov 12, 2011 #7
    Are you referring to Ω? Isn't that omega?

9. Nov 12, 2011 #8
    [tex] \rho (x,y) = |x| [/tex]

10. Nov 12, 2011 #9
    Oh, right. I'm just being stupid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook