1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find center of mass of planar quadrilateral

1. Nov 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the planar quadrilateral with vertices (0, 0), (2, 0), (1, 1) and (0, 1). Suppose that it has constant density. What is its center of mass?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it has constant density, could I assume that the center of mass would be the same as if I put 4 equal masses on the vertices and calculate the center of mass that way? Like ##\bar x= \frac {m_1x_1+...+m_nx_n}{m_1+...m_n}## and same for ##\bar y##?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. But you could break up the region into two pieces and put the mass of each piece at its center of mass and calculate from there.

4. Nov 16, 2016 #3
    How do I find the center of mass of the half piece?

5. Nov 16, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The center of mass of a rectangle is at its center and the center of mass of a triangle is at the intersection of its medians. Or you could just use the standard calculus formulas and calculate the center of mass of the region directly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted