Calculating Net Gravitational Force in Equilateral Triangle Configuration

In summary, three point particles with masses of 12.0 kg, 18.0 kg, and 15.0 kg are fixed in an equilateral triangle with sides of length 2.50 mm in the xy plane. The net gravitational force exerted on particle 1 by the other two particles can be calculated using the equation G((m1m2)/a^2) and G((m1m3)/a^2). To find the components of this force, the triangle can be divided into two right triangles. Pythagoras' theorem can then be used to find the adjacent side of mass 1.
QuantumKnight

Homework Statement

Three point particles are fixed in place in the xy plane. The three partiles sit on the
corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of length a = 2.50 mm. Particle 1 has a mass m1 = 12.0 kg,
particle 2 has a mass m2 = 18.0 kg, and particle 3 has a mass m3 = 15.0 kg.

1. What is the magnitude and direction of the net gravitational force exerted on particle 1 by the other
two particles?[/B]

Homework Equations

G((m1m2)/a2)

and

G((m1m3)/a2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use the above equation and separate them by its x and y components. But I feel that because its an equilateral triangle I need to somehow make it into a right triangles so that the radius from mass 1 of both particles will be 30 degrees from mass 1 if I make mass 1 the origin.

How do I attack this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 2 forces acting on particle #1. You know these 2 forces act with an angle of how many degrees between them?

Draw the diagram.

probably easiest to add the components ... it is the same thing as splitting the equilateral into 2 right triangles.
put mass 1 at the tip of the A , there's only 1 component.

NascentOxygen said:
You have 2 forces acting on particle #1. You know these 2 forces act with an angle of how many degrees between them?

Draw the diagram.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I did. I drew what forces acted on mass 1 as well.

Where I am drawing a mental blank is if I divide it into two right trianges I get that a sides are the hypotenuse and the opposite angle of mass 1 is !/2a but the how do I find the adjacent side to mass 1?

Attachments

• hw1.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 272
Doesn't Pythagoras help you with right triangles?

1. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is an attractive force that pulls objects towards each other. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

2. What is the universal law of gravitation?

The universal law of gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is the gravitational force calculated?

The gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. Why do objects fall towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth because the Earth has a large mass, which creates a strong gravitational force. This force pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, causing them to fall.

5. How does distance affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of the gravitational force decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. As the distance increases, the force becomes weaker.