1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating odds

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    i was trying to calculate the odds of winning the lotto 6/49 6 diffrent numbers and the numbers go from 1 - 49 could any one calculate it and show me the formula i thought it would be 49*48*47...*43 but that does not seem right
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    The probability of choosing the winning number would be 1 out of the number of ordered 6-character strings you can create from a 49 character set without replacement. The latter number is what you calculated, 49 choices for the first character multiplied by 48 choices for the second character, and so on for 6 factors.
  4. Oct 28, 2005 #3
    yes but sequencially multplying thes numbers together gives me 10068347520 which is alittle hey because people usually win the lotto every week and im sure not that many tickets are sold
  5. Oct 28, 2005 #4

Or using the definition of the combination...

It's about 1 in 14,000,000, the number you've been hearing in the news for the past week.
  6. Oct 28, 2005 #5
    It does not matter in what order you receive your six numbers, so it is a combination, which is the permutation divided by 6!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?