Calculating Lotto 6/49 Odds | Formula Explained

• Thread starter whatdofisheat
  • Start date
In summary, the odds of winning the lotto 6/49 with 6 different numbers from a range of 1-49 can be calculated using the combination formula: 49!/(6!*43!) which is approximately 1 in 14,000,000. This is based on the probability of choosing the winning number from the total number of possible 6-character strings without replacement. The commonly cited statistic of 1 in 14,000,000 is based on the number of tickets sold each week.
whatdofisheat
i was trying to calculate the odds of winning the lotto 6/49 6 diffrent numbers and the numbers go from 1 - 49 could anyone calculate it and show me the formula i thought it would be 49*48*47...*43 but that does not seem right
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
whatdofisheat said:
i was trying to calculate the odds of winning the lotto 6/49 6 diffrent numbers and the numbers go from 1 - 49 could anyone calculate it and show me the formula i thought it would be 49*48*47...*43 but that does not seem right
thanks
The probability of choosing the winning number would be 1 out of the number of ordered 6-character strings you can create from a 49 character set without replacement. The latter number is what you calculated, 49 choices for the first character multiplied by 48 choices for the second character, and so on for 6 factors.

yes but sequencially multplying thes numbers together gives me 10068347520 which is alittle hey because people usually win the lotto every week and I am sure not that many tickets are sold

49C6

Or using the definition of the combination...

49!/(6!*43!)

It's about 1 in 14,000,000, the number you've been hearing in the news for the past week.

It does not matter in what order you receive your six numbers, so it is a combination, which is the permutation divided by 6!

What is the Lotto 6/49 game?

The Lotto 6/49 game is a popular lottery game in Canada where players choose 6 numbers from a pool of 1-49. If all 6 numbers match the winning numbers, the player wins the jackpot prize.

What is the formula for calculating the odds of winning Lotto 6/49?

The formula for calculating the odds of winning Lotto 6/49 is n! / (k!(n-k)!), where n is the total number of possible numbers and k is the number of numbers chosen for the winning combination. In this case, n=49 and k=6, so the formula becomes 49! / (6!(49-6)!) = 13,983,816.

What is the probability of winning the Lotto 6/49 jackpot?

The probability of winning the Lotto 6/49 jackpot is 1 in 13,983,816. This means that for every ticket purchased, there is a 1 in 13,983,816 chance of winning the jackpot prize.

How can the odds of winning be improved?

The odds of winning cannot be improved, as they are based on mathematical probabilities. However, buying more tickets or joining a lottery pool can increase the chances of winning, as the number of entries increases.

Are there any other factors that can affect the odds of winning?

No, the odds of winning in Lotto 6/49 are solely based on the mathematical formula and are not affected by any external factors such as previous winning numbers or the day of the week the draw takes place.