How to Calculate On-State Resistance of a 4H-SiC Schottky Diode?

• Thread starter kcmei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, to calculate the on state resistance of a 4H-SiC Schottky diode device with a 10 micrometer epitaxial layer and 300 micrometer substrate, you will first need to calculate the depletion width using the given information and the equation W = sqrt(2*epsilon*Vb/q*N). Once the depletion width is determined, you can use it in the equation R(on) = W/q.mu.N to calculate the on state resistance. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of Schottky diodes and their operation in order to solve this problem.
kcmei
Hi guys,

I need some help with this question:

calculate the on state resistance of the following 4H-SiC Schottky diode device if the epitaxial layer is 10 micrometer and thickness of the substrate is 300 micrometer.

2uha8fb.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking of using the equation for depletion width then the equation for R(on) as they are the only equations I know:

W=2Vb/Ec
R(on) = W/q.mu.N

but i am only given the layer thicknesses how can i work out the depletion width ? If i can get the depletion width then i think i can get R(on)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this question. I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the basics of a Schottky diode and how it works. From there, you can use the given information to calculate the on state resistance.

The depletion width is the distance between the metal contact and the semiconductor material in a Schottky diode. In this case, we can use the given information of the layer thickness and substrate thickness to calculate the depletion width. The depletion width can be calculated using the following equation:

W = sqrt(2*epsilon*Vb/q*N)

Where W is the depletion width, epsilon is the permittivity of the semiconductor material (in this case 4H-SiC), Vb is the built-in potential, q is the elementary charge, and N is the doping concentration.

Once you have calculated the depletion width, you can use it to calculate the on state resistance using the equation you mentioned, R(on) = W/q.mu.N, where mu is the carrier mobility.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

FAQ: How to Calculate On-State Resistance of a 4H-SiC Schottky Diode?

1. What is on-state resistance?

On-state resistance is the resistance that a device or component exhibits when it is in its conducting state. It is typically measured when the device is fully turned on, and is a measure of how easily current can flow through the device.

2. Why is calculating on-state resistance important?

Calculating on-state resistance is important because it allows us to understand how a device will behave in a circuit and whether it will cause any significant voltage drops. It also helps us determine the power dissipation of the device, which is important for thermal considerations.

3. How is on-state resistance calculated?

On-state resistance is typically calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. In the case of on-state resistance, we measure the voltage and current when the device is fully conducting and use those values in the calculation.

4. What factors affect on-state resistance?

The on-state resistance of a device is affected by a number of factors, including the material it is made of, its dimensions, and any impurities or defects in the material. Temperature can also affect on-state resistance, as higher temperatures can cause an increase in resistance.

5. How can on-state resistance be reduced?

On-state resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, optimizing the dimensions of the device, and minimizing impurities and defects. Additionally, cooling methods can be employed to keep the device at a lower temperature, which can help reduce on-state resistance.

Back