Calculating pressur produced by explosion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the pressure produced by an explosion, using the example of a metal box with gas fuel and a wooden side. The important data needed for this calculation include the box volume and fuel to air ratio, but there may be other parameters that need to be considered as well.
grendizer1
Hello friends,

Iam new to this site and I hope I didn't post this form in the wrong location.

I would like to know how to calculate pressure produced by explosion?

To make it clear, here is an example:

A metal box with volume = 10cm^3. There is, let's say, gas fuel with know quantity in the box. The box have one side built with wood. So when I ignite the fuel, how much pressure will it produce to the wood?

What I am guessing, the important data we must have are;
1. Box volume.
2. fuel to air ratio.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much,

Grendizer

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Those are a tiny fraction of the parameters involved. What others can you think of?

1. How is the pressure produced by an explosion calculated?

The pressure produced by an explosion is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure (P) of a gas is equal to the product of its temperature (T) and the number of moles (n) divided by its volume (V), represented by the equation: P = (nRT)/V. In this equation, R is the universal gas constant.

2. What factors affect the pressure produced by an explosion?

The pressure produced by an explosion is affected by several factors, including the amount and type of explosive material used, the confinement of the explosion, and the surrounding environment. The shape and size of the explosion also play a role, as well as the distance from the explosion.

3. Can the pressure produced by an explosion be controlled?

The pressure produced by an explosion can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the amount and type of explosive material used, as well as the confinement and shape of the explosion. However, it is not possible to completely control the pressure produced by an explosion, as it also depends on external factors such as the surrounding environment.

4. How is the pressure wave generated by an explosion measured?

The pressure wave generated by an explosion can be measured using specialized instruments such as blast gauges or pressure transducers. These devices record the changes in pressure over time and can provide data on the intensity and duration of the pressure wave.

5. What are the potential hazards associated with high pressure from an explosion?

The high pressure produced by an explosion can cause structural damage, injury, and even death. The pressure wave can displace objects and cause them to fly at high speeds, leading to impact injuries. It can also rupture eardrums and cause lung damage if the pressure is too high. In confined spaces, the pressure can lead to structural collapse and further increase the risk of injury or death.