Calculating pressures from flow rate & pressure differential

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about calculating the pressures of incoming and outgoing lines in a system with a wet gas flowing into a dryer. The information provided includes the temperature, flow rate, and pressure differential between the two lines. Suggestions are made for finding the pressures, including treating the outlet line as atmospheric and using pressure gauges to measure the system pressures directly. It is also noted that calculating pressure drops in exhaust pipes and chimneys can be difficult and uncertain.
Jason Reid
It seems there must be a way, but I cannot seem to wrap my head around it. Here's the scenario...

I have a 24" line flowing with a wet gas (combustion flue gas) into a dryer. It comes in at 90 degrees F, at a rate of 180 SCF/M. It leaves the dryer at 73 degrees F at a rate of 124 SCF/M. I have a gauge that shows me the pressure differential between the 2 lines as 20.5 inches of water column. Is there a way, given the information provided, to calculate the pressures of the incoming and outgoing lines?

Any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the flue gas exhaust to the atmosphere ?

Last edited:
Yes

Directly or via a short generously sized duct or via a long exhaust pipe/chimney stack ?

Sorry, my mistake, the wet gas does not vent, it enters the dryer, the dried does eventually, it's horizontal for about 50 feet, then it turns up for about 100ft

Jason Reid said:
Sorry, my mistake, the wet gas does not vent, it enters the dryer, the dried does eventually, it's horizontal for about 50 feet, then it turns up for about 100ft
Without doing a full calculation, 124 cfm of gas through a 24" line for 150 ft isn't going to have much of a pressure drop. Depending on the level of precision you need, you can probably treat the outlet line as atmospheric and the inlet as whatever your differentual pressure gauge is reading.

Hmm, would not the faster moving gas have a lower pressure? If I subtract the differential from the atmospheric, would that give me a vacuum?

If the exhaust path was direct or very short then a simple solution was possible . Unfortunately this solution can't be used reliably with a long exhaust pipe and tall chimney as well .

The pressure drop over the exhaust pipe and chimney length may be significant for an accurate calculation of the pressures in this system . Calculating pressure drops for exhaust gasses in pipework - and in chimneys in particular - can be a rather uncertain process .

Realistically it would be easier to fit some pressure gauges and find out what the system pressures are for certain .

Thanks for the help y'all

Hi,

If you can force the gauge read atmospheric pressure in the low pressure side, you can find the pressure of the inlet pipe (by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the result).

For example, you can disconnect the tubing that connects the pressure gauge to the side of the lowest pressure and let it open to the atmosphere. This method can work only if there is a block valve in the tubing.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

1. How do you calculate the pressure from a given flow rate and pressure differential?

To calculate the pressure, you can use the equation P = Q x d, where P is the pressure, Q is the flow rate, and d is the pressure differential. Make sure to use consistent units for all variables.

2. What units should be used for flow rate and pressure differential in the calculation?

The units for flow rate can vary depending on the system, but common units include liters per second (L/s), cubic meters per hour (m^3/hr), or gallons per minute (GPM). The units for pressure differential are typically in units of pressure such as Pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), or bar.

3. Can this calculation be used for both liquids and gases?

Yes, this calculation can be used for both liquids and gases as long as the flow rate and pressure differential are measured in consistent units. However, it is important to note that the properties of liquids and gases may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating pressures for compressible fluids?

Yes, for compressible fluids, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the pressure from a given flow rate and pressure differential. The ideal gas law equation is P = (mRT)/V, where P is the pressure, m is the mass of the gas, R is the universal gas constant, T is the temperature, and V is the volume.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating pressures from flow rate and pressure differential?

In addition to flow rate and pressure differential, it is important to consider factors such as fluid density, viscosity, and variations in flow rate. These can all affect the accuracy of the pressure calculation and should be taken into account when using this equation.